rainandsonder

"the audience is only safe when the story isn't about them."

they/them - probably listening to sufjan stevens

an important piece by outoftheblue- https://bit.ly/3dBxv5r

black lives matter & pride is over but the fight for lgbt+ rights is year round.

bio quote is from the magnus archives

and his notes so blue they shatter the sky and the sea

21

it is this ecstasy, the whole band whipping and dragging and pulling around the metronome, louder than the pomegranate nebulas in the sky, until we DROP
     and then we’re not. and then we are sinking into our own skin; we pull, our backs arch, our notes strain to pry apart the ledger lines and smudge their grungy faces against heaven’s windows like street urchins. well, maybe this is music: maybe this is a man with hole-punch teeth downtown, his stomach curving around the guitar like a hug. his notes are so blue they shatter open the sky and the sea, and each floods toward the other like two armies crashing into battle.
    i am sure this it. this is when i crawl out of my body like the undead out of their graves and stutter toward the indigo oblivion. this is when i crack the melody above my head and close my eyes as it leaks into my mouth. but when i look up, the city's mouth is still sticky with sleep, eyes puckered and tumbleweed plastic bags cartwheeling through its streets.
    the hole-punch man is gone, and again i am certain that this is a pre-apocalypse, a hundred cardboard box houses wedged together and emptied for the eight-hour workday, a temporary ghost town. i find myself in the wild west, but in this story i am not the hesitant explorer, nor the impulsive hero; i think i am instead the dust that leeches onto old windowpanes. 
    but still, still there is this: the last note of a song, and for once it doesn't flicker and sputter, dying like the moment in the conversation when you realize you've been drowned out. instead, it swells, it flows over the edges of the cup, and suddenly you can hear it-- lower brass in harmony like a tooth so loose it aches, like waiting months for a book to come out and watching someone else leave the store with the last copy. 
    the tooth never comes out, but i'm starting to think it's better this way, overflowing and aching and bleeding into a tissue, prying apart the ledger lines. the city's mouth is still sticky with sleep, but my head won't hit the pillow tonight. 

please leave a comment or, even better, a review!! likes don't tell the author anything, and it's good karma. 

1

• Wicked!

I honestly don't even know what to comment, this is just way too beautiful. The kind of melancholy analogies you've used throughout are just gorgeous.

• aditi

i love this so, so, so much! this was amazing and kept me hooked! make sure to check out my contest, #powerofwords
    only one day left...

• parachutes_the_idiot

https://www.writetheworld.com/groups/1/shared/137151/version/265008

• ajamwal

hi rainandsonder, just wanted to let you know october wtw highlights will be up sometime tomorrow! (hosted by @Anha)

• jaii

hey how the heck??? how can someone write so beautifully? i'm absolutely awestruck. "and then we are sinking into our own skin; we pull, our backs arch, our notes strain to pry apart the ledger lines and smudge their grungy faces against heaven’s windows like street urchins." seriously, how do you come up with this stuff?absolutely beautiful.

there's too many good phrases here to point them out in a comment - i'd be copy-pasting the entire piece just to highlight its brilliance. this is poetry in motion, expressing everything that can and can't express. i love this more than should be possible.

• loveletterstosappho

your figurative language is fucking amazing wow in that they're not only unconventional but also capable of conveying so much due to the fact that they're unconventional? the aching tooth, last copy of a book, ghost town, aslkdflkasdf and my absolute favorite line is "the city's mouth is still sticky with sleep" because a) i'm a slut for alliteration and b) it's so human? it's a bit melancholy and a bit not at the same time
    i'm sorry i'm not making any sense but i love ur writing!!!

• babybluelamentations

Freakin beautiful, i love the aesthetic that every single one of your pieces has: a sort of hazy, smoky, tired metaphor for life that pauses and explores the smallest details and sensations. Also, the repetition at the end was such a smooth conclusion to the piece. Needless to say, you had me hooked on reading from beginning to end. Love this piece.

• Dmoral

I really like how it seems like some of your pieces start in the middle of a preexisting story (if that makes sense) and then goes to tell another story or to finish the story.

• Kayla Vanderpool

Loved this!!!

• r|A|i|N

my god this is my band good to know ur songs also hit the wild wild west

• ajamwal

omg, i am getting the warmest vibes from your new bio and avatar, i am also learning spanish and have been for a year, so if ya need help you know who to ask :3 and as always the piece is wonderful :33

• jeily

this is beautiful, i love the line “the city’s mouth is still sticky with sleep”

• BurningMidnightOil

This piece is phenomenal. The amount of metaphors you managed to pack into six paragraphs is unbelievable. The imagery you create with your metaphors is breathtaking. Your writing urges me to read on; it’s engaging. Very well done!