Soph_thewriter

God ✝️
Reading
Writing ✍️
Running ‍
Doctor Who ✨

This is my final because I was a procrastinator but please let me know what you think anyway :)

Little Darling

The sun was blindingly bright on the day I fell in love with the Beatles, the warm rays like a spotlight coercing me onto center stage. Yet I was playing my role in the audience as my toes curled around the vibrant green grass under the rare, cloudless sky in Pennsylvania and earbuds were shoved my way while a medley of sounds filled my ears.

“Here comes the sun, doo-dun doo-doo
 Here comes the sun, and I say
 It's all right”

I closed my eyes, feeling the weight of the world slip away from me as I inhaled and let myself float away with the beat of the music.

“Little darling, it's been a long cold lonely winter
 Little darling, it feels like years since it's been here.”

Of course, I’d heard the song before—it was popular, after all. But it was also the gateway for me into the realm of the Beatles, which not many people did venture into.

“Here comes the sun, doo-dun doo-doo
 Here comes the sun, and I say
 It's all right.”

This became the song that I ran to whenever life was hitting me hard, when it seemed like the tough times would never end. It was a way to escape from reality, like how George Harrison had ducked a meeting with producers when negotiations were getting long and drawn out. He eventually landed in Eric Clapton’s garden—where this beautiful song came into existence.

“Here Comes the Sun” was written at the time when Apple was getting like school, where we had to go and be   businessmen: ‘Sign this’ and ‘Sign that’. Anyway, it seems as if winter in England goes on forever; by the time spring   comes you really deserve it. So one day I decided I was going to slag off Apple and I went over to Eric Clapton’s house. The relief of not having to go and see all those dopey accountants was wonderful, and I walked around the garden with one of Eric’s acoustic guitars and wrote “Here Comes the Sun.”’ -George Harrison

“Little darling, the smile's returning to their faces
 Little darling, it seems like years since it's been here.”

Many years have passed since the Beatles stopped recording, but their legacy has not died yet.  Instead, it has been preserved within the lyrics and rhythm of their music, each song like a time capsule exploding with memories and experiences. Their influence has not stagnated, either. Artists like Billy Joel, The Beach Boys, and Joni Mitchell (plus countless others) all drew their inspiration from this iconic band, who seemed to appear out of nowhere.

“Everything about the way John Lennon sang, and the lyrics he was writing… It sounded amazing. Norwegian Wood is my favorite, too. The lyrics are so good, and so creative… I can’t forget the sitar, too, I’d never heard that before, that unbelievable sound. No one had heard that in rock ‘n’ roll back then, this amazing, exotic sound. It really did inspire the instrumentation I ended up using for Pet Sounds.”  -Brian Wilson, the Beach Boys

On that hot, summer day under the blinding sun, as my shirt dripped with water from a hose fight, it was unsurprising that I would become enamored with the Beatles. They were a force to be reckoned with, later creeping into the crevices of my life and sticking with me to this day. 

That’s the great thing about any music, really—it’s always there, free of judgement. If you ever find yourself alone, sometimes simply blasting your favorite artist or album will put that pep right back in your step, no matter the emotional breakdown you may be going through. In this case, here are a few of my suggestions concerning Abbey Road and the Beatles:

Has your hope faltered, leaving you stuck in the middle of life? Here Comes the Sun will remind you that the winter won’t last forever with it’s gentle, soothing melody.

Need a song to ease you into sleep? The short but sweet tune of Golden Slumbers will certainly do the trick.

Burdened by your troubles, wanting release? Jam out to Carry That Weight.

Bitter about a person or situation and looking for a way to relieve your murderous intentions without actually killing anyone? Maxwell’s Silver Hammer is the song for you.

Desperate for comfort? Something is better than nothing.

Searching for a way to keep your mind off of something? Listen to Octopus’s Garden. You’ll spend your time thinking about the strange lyrics to this song, instead.

Has your heart been broken? Oh! Darling. Sing your troubles away with this classic.

So, plug in your earbuds. Let your troubles fall away. 
         And take a chance on the Beatles, little darling. 

• October 20, 2019 - 11:14am (Now Viewing)

• Soph_thewriter

Thank you so much!

• mollyy!!

i loooove the beatles and this is such a fab review of abbey road! the rhetorical questions at the end are a really nice touch :)