Fenley Jones

'Labrinth, Sia, and Diplo Present... LSD’

The collaboration between multiple artists that have already released albums that have topped the charts is usual. However, this collaboration is one of the few, featuring artists Labyrinth, Sia, and Diplo. This album has upbeat rhythms and has a peppy vibe. If I had had to put this album in a genre it would have to be ‘digital gospel pop’ because of the digital equipment noises in the background of some of the songs and the way they chop up Sia's vocals, but still, I have to keep in mind this is a pop album. 

This album contains 10 songs in total and is the debut album of the group. The first song on this album is named “Welcome to the Wonderful World of”(1) [Welcome to the Wonderful World of (feat. Sia, Diplo & Labrinth)], and is supposed to introduce the group to the world (even though they’re ‘out of this world’ “I’m here on venus”). This song makes you wonder why the group chose to do such amazing harmonization at the beginning and then chose to have digital sounds and extra choppy- to the point where they are annoying vocals. 

The vast majority of the songs in this album are upbeat and give you a happy feeling. These songs include “Angel in Your Eyes”(2) [Angel in Your Eyes (feat. Sia, Diplo & Labrinth)], “Genius”(3) [Genius (feat. Sia, Diplo & Labrinth)], “Audio”(4) [Audio (feat. Sia, Diplo & Labrinth)], “Mountains”(6) [Mountains (feat. Sia, Diplo & Labrinth)], “No New Friends”(7) [No New Friends (feat. Sia, Diplo & Labrinth)], “Heaven Can Wait”(8) [Heaven Can Wait (feat. Sia, Diplo & Labrinth)]. Of these many songs, one of my favorites is Mountains. Pandora says this song features “electronica influences, mild rhythmic syncopation, intricate melodic phrasing, paired vocal harmony, and thru composed melodic style”. I completely agree with the “electronica influences” and the “paired vocal harmony”, in fact, these are the main reasons that I like this song and maybe even this entire album. This song also delivers a strong message- that you can do anything you put your mind to. “So what we gotta lose? What we gotta move?, I move mountains (sing), I can see it through, I can do it, too… ...What we gotta lose? What we gotta move?, I move mountains”

Naturally, this much joy and happiness cannot be expressed in an album without also adding a somewhat depressing song, and in this case, it is the song “its time”(9) [It's Time (feat. Sia, Diplo & Labrinth)]. 
At the end of the album, they added a remix of the song “Genius”(10) [Genius (Lil Wayne Remix) (feat. Lil Wayne, Sia, Diplo & Labrinth)] also featured in the album. This song features the rapper Lil Wayne sounding under the influence of drugs at the beginning of the song while rapping about inappropriate topics. 
  • “Uh, I'm a genius, under question, no question, I'm really special
  • Upper echelon when I bless you, molest you with intellectual
  • It's a pleasure, it gets ⬛⬛⬛⬛, women lemon complexion
  • Quick ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛, then ⬛⬛⬛⬛, my love is so ambidextrous
  • I'm a genius, imperfectionist, specialist in the excesses
  • With excellence forever, there's necklaces for irrelevance
  • In the room, I'm the elephant, spellin' it for the h*** of it
  • A-B-C-D-R-U-G-H-I-J-K-L-S-D”

Then he goes into painfully trying to rap a messed up alphabet to say the group’s name instead he could have said
‘A-B-C-D  E-F-G  H-I-J-K  L-S-D’ This is by far the worst song in the album, in my opinion, and should not have been added. According to pandora, this song features “modern R&B stylings, heavy use of vocal harmonies, extensive vamping, paired vocal harmony, and synthetic sonority.

• October 18, 2019 - 7:08am (Now Viewing)