Anha

ms. eldritch horror

"people often reveal their true colours when they are held accountable for their actions; there are those who want to make amends and improve their behaviour and those who don't."
- amalia costa (wtw alum)

there are no words to express how thankful i am. not even all the words here are enough. words can only do so much, until the correct combination is found. i hope i can find that combination soon so that my appreciation can ring just a little bit truer.

250 followers, as i live and breathe

22
i don't think i'm capable of writing some kind of introspective speech like rainandsonder regarding this topic, so i'll attempt to keep it brief.

i'm sure everyone's had to have said this once they reach a milestone, but honestly, i never thought i'd make it this far. the fact that there are two hundred and fifty people who like my writing enough to follow me. it'd be a lie to say that i hadn't been seeing the numbers rack up over time, but still, this is unbelievable. when i joined wtw back in the (fairly recent?) winter of 2018 all i wanted was to get the badge for 30 followers. it seems like a lifetime since then, and so much has changed. but one thing that hasn't changed is my love for writing and the lovely people who support my work. (thank you so so much!!)

i'm taking a page from paperbird's book to thank those who helped me most along the way - the ones who are still here anyway. (i'm painfully aware that as "eras" pass on wtw, we lose the talents of many great writers, such as R.j.ElsewherezodiethegreatmuppetmariemareLackingASocialLife, annie_chengpaperbird and Luna Lemon, to name a few. they may be gone, but not forgotten. and they deserve recognition for the great work they did while they were with us. (this is not an obituary, i swear.)

now for the innumerable thank yous and shoutouts:

Araw
honestly, Araw is the one who's responsible for me being on wtw to begin with. a constant support and advocate for my work (even though she doesn't always agree with lowercase prose lol). she's an absolutely stellar friend and an even better writer, and if you haven't read her stuff, she's (briefly?) returned from an indefinite hiatus. you'e doing yourself a favour to check her out. some of the most mature writing you'll find on wtw. and poetry. did i mention poetry?

rosemarywisdom
this lovely girl has done a multitude of wonderful things for the wtw community, trying to get writers recognised for their talents, offering helpful feedback, and generally being open as a helper to anyone who thinks they need help. she supports almost everyone unequivocally, and has (also!) just returned from hiatus. thank you for being around for my last year and a bit on wtw, i mean it.

jengelman
not to bag on other poets, but jengelman is THE queer poet of wtw. basically the infrequent posting version of rupi kaur, their work is unparalleled in the field of emotions that can only be expressed through metaphors, and do not have a name. their work makes you feel things. seriously, it's incredible. don't let their erratic posting schedule intimidate you, jengelman is a true diamond in the rough, and i'll take their honest feedback any day.

rainandsonder
rain! and! sonder!! the title is almost ironic - this lovely human is nothing like what their username suggests. or maybe it's just me that's constantly uplifted whenever i see their brilliant work being posted. (no, i might be wrong, their writing does deal a lot with existentialism, so perhaps there is some sonder to be found.) one of the best writers on wtw by far, they'll be celebrating 300 followers soon, so check out their work to see what you're missing out on!!

Surly Wombat
can i just say. no one has had a more incredible rebirth than surly wombat. after a brief hiatus, sw came back in full force with poetry of which quality i had barely seen before. a romantic after my own heart, sw is an absolutely amazing writer and another cool human being that's been here longer than i have, and can i say, it's been an absolute pleasure. (shh, don't tell anyone, but of all their pieces, i'd recommend lovely. not that their other pieces aren't equally 'lovely'.)

ethereal.otherworldly
all of this is biased but prepare for me to be even more biased with this beautiful girl. yes, i love her. but i loved her first for her writing. cos goddamn, that stuff is amazing. even the prose she writes reads like poetry in motion; no words are unnecessary and every phrase adds to this beautiful tapestry that you know will fade away into the vastness of the universe, yet you want to keep it with you like a collection of pressed flowers in a yellow-paged notebook. thank you for everything. i'm your biggest fan.

loveletterstosappho
i'm sorry, lesbians are the most powerful source of poetry on earth. i've never seen a straight woman do what girls who love girls can do, and loveletterstosappho is no exception. a brilliant writer, i think i first fell in love with her writing in the piece carbon monoxide, even though i'd liked her works before that. i swear, the flash fiction competition sent me reeling; the first place entry was good, but if i could choose second place, loveletters' entry would definitely be a strong contender (battling with she's-got-a-story). every comment you leave is a blessing. thank you.

aryelee
A R Y E L E E. are you a mind reader? you must be a mind reader, because everything you write sums up the human experience so tangibly and so beautifully that you must be a witch in disguise. c'mon, wake up in the middle of the night and make the magic happen, baby. you'd think it'd be impossible for all of someone's pieces to be amazing (mine sure aren't) but literally aryelee's pieces begin with brilliance and keep that streak going all the way til today. please please please read her work.

r|A|i|N
awesome awesome awesome kid. seriously, rain is a dynamite force on wtw, and you haven't seen their writing - where have you been? this kid's been around the block in a big way, and you must have angered some divine power to not have seen their work even once. rain has a way with words that transcends something which can be taught; it's wholly their own, and i'd recommend them to anyone who wants a chance to experience that wonder.

astrobhbe
i don't think i've ever been prouder to call anyone else my protege. even though she's a relatively new face, astrobhbe's pieces (like anyone else's) have improved throughout her time on wtw, partially due to the fact that i peer review all of her pieces, but also due to something that i can't give myself credit for. truly, it's been amazing to see you grow into yourself as a writer, and you should be very proud of your achievements. anyone who hasn't read astrobhbe's entry which placed in rain's competition, what are you doing? (here it is.)

MarSan
if i had to quantify how long a writer has been on wtw by the quality of their work, i would never guess that marsan has only been here since july. it's always a pleasure to be surprised by the unexpected, and the unexpected part of marsan's appearance was the presence of their brilliant poetic prose. i was enraptured from the point that i read Gold and Indigo, and they've continued to impress me ever since. thank you for your support!

Oscar_Locke
when i get a like from oscar locke, it means something. personally, i consider it one of the highest compliments to my writing that i can get. oscar is one of the most talented, if not the best poet on wtw, with his incredible structure and stunning vocabulary that leaves you reeling as you absorb his poems like long-forgotten memories behind a window of frosted glass. they're truly amazing, no words for them, and you're seriously missing out if you haven't seen his work.

chiaroscuro
it's always a pleasure to discuss cultural similarities, and chiaroscuro is the perfect person to do that with. thank you for reading my work and responding in kind with an anecdote from your life that reflects exactly the experience i was trying to emulate. any fellow asians will love her writing, and it's definitely worth checking out.

jeily
and just like that, a miracle popped into existence. i didn't think someone so talented would appear on wtw, especially not in a time like this. (perhaps i'm becoming pessimistic. but this is a gentle rain on the parched, cracked earth.) when i read words for you i was blown away. read it too, and do yourself a favour. love never felt truer. thank you for your support!

agustdv
there's a common trait among the best of our writers on wtw. the writers that write the most beautiful poetry often have the most beautiful profile pictures. and agustdv is no exception to the rule. similarly to rainandsonder, agustdv is able to comment on current issues in an entirely poetic and wholly encompassing fashion; like the loneliness in a crowded city, the injustices of society, and things not being like we were told they would be. if there's poetry about the human experience, there's agustdv. always a pleasure to see you in my notifications.

a few more short thank yous to Dmoral13Dani A. RemlapBookworm101weirdoWriters of the WorldJulianaajamwal ꒰•̹͡ິु•ິू꒱, and Ali S. i might not know you guys very well, but i've felt your support, and i thank you for that.

and thank you to all of you guys along for the ride. i might not know exactly who you are, but know that i see you in my notifications and i appreciate you. truly.

• October 23, 2019 - 3:17am (Now Viewing)

• Kenny

congrats anha!! i absolutely adore your writing, you deserve every single follower!!

• _________

Hey, Congrats on the followers! That's really fantastic :

I wanted to apologize for being so rotten to you on my piece. I saw your comment, and I really would like to let bygones be bygones. I never thought that you might have been too busy irl to have time to comment on reviews or something like that. And I was mostly upset about the follow thing because when I first came here, I really looked up to you and was kinda hurt that you didn't follow back. It was really stupid of me to hold a grudge that long. I'm sorry.
    I mean, I still thought you were pretty overkill against @parachutes, but I'm sorry that I was just as bad, if not worse, towards you.
    (also, I accidentally deleted the reviews that you wrote for me when I "left". They weren't actually that bad, but I took it the wrong way)

• loveletterstosappho

eek! congrats on 250+!!! you're a wtw ICON and we all love u !!!

• agustdv

I really don't know how I missed this, but maybe having a million university midterms are to blame.
    I'm so, so happy for you @Anha. It's always such an honor to be mentioned by you anywhere, be it in your highlights, or this sweet message. I'm so glad that I got to know you here, and I want you to know that you've influenced my writing in so many ways.

You're truly an inspiration. You deserve this!

• ajamwal

great job anha, you're the best, you definitely deserved it, happy writing :3

• Bookworm101

Congrats on 250! You totally deserve it! Thanks for the short thank you! Your work is AMAZING, you're probably one of the best writers I've seen on WtW!

• Writers of the World

This one's for you Anha: https://writetheworld.com/groups/1/shared/134314/version/258639

Congrats! 250 followers is a big feat! Like.... BIG.
    Anyway... you DESERVE this many followers after the work you put into WtW!
    Can't wait to see more of what you come up with!

• Dmoral

Thanks for the shout out!

• sw

oh my gosh dude congrats!!! i adore your writing and you deserve every follower!!
    thank you so much for your “lovely” shoutout :) i always enjoy your feedback & words of encouragements.
    (sorry, this probably seems really jumpy but it’s like 2 am and idk how to talk to people oof) it’s great to see people who joined after i did grow as writers :) so once again, congratulations & keep writing !

• Writers of the World

I love to see the appreciation you have for other writers!
    Also, thanks very much for the shout out!

thx so much for the shoutout and the kind words! you deserve all the followers you have and more, your writing is fantastic. not to mention the amazing support and feedback you provide on this site— your reviews are so detailed and sometimes i find myself re-reading some of your comments and grinning like crazy because they’re so nice.

• r|A|i|N

congrats on 250! you deserve every follower you've got & more. and thank you for the shoutout! i'm so glad you've recognized all of these great writers; it must've taken a lot of effort and everyone here is so deserving of praise. again, congratulations!

• MarSan

Congratulations dear! You deserve each and every single one of those followers! Thank you for blessing us with your writing, seeing the world through your lens feels like breathing for the first time. Not to mention, thank you for all the support and inspiration you provide for the community (even though I haven't been here for long, I've been able to see the impact you have on writers and their voices <3 ). I certainly wasn't expecting to form part of this list, thank you truly!!

• Okapi

The first round of the Writing Contest Championships begins right now and must be entered before October 27th. Here is the category to write about: Halloween, we are getting close to Halloween and so I think that it would be a good idea to write about Halloween. It can be flash fiction, poetry, or a short story, but please no novels! Once you are done, please include (Round One) in your title, I do not need the link to your piece that way, I can just search for Round One. Good luck to all of you!

• jeily

wow i was massively, pleasantly surprised when i saw my username on here, but thank you for your lovely words <3 your work is amazing and deserves every bit of recognition it has gotten, congratulations on 250 followers!