emmiewrites

hey! i'm from australia, and i'm thirteen. some of my hobbies include drawing, writing, reading as watching shows. i'm a libra, i love life and i never have a favourite author for long. i write over-dramatic, sad and no-happy-ending stories.

"when people write, nothing can possibly be chimera. writing breathes colour to the world around you. your imagination is the paintbrush."
lowercase intended :)

lorde; melodramatic heroine of music

"Bet you rue the day you kissed the writer in the dark,

now she's gonna play and sing and lock you in her heart.."

The lyrics entranced me at first listen, as i'd never heard anything like it. Everything on the radio was always a shallow love story, yet this song was unique. Each note was beautifully sung, with a raw voice that was not too mellow, yet not too deep. Her words were spun with a special flair, easily capturing a place within my heart. What was the heartbreaking song about? I yearned to hear more. This marked the beginning of my fascination upon New Zealand-born singer, Lorde.

"Melodrama" is a word meaning a story, play, or film in which the characters show stronger emotions than real people usually do. Lorde chose this particular word as the title of her latest album, released in 2017.  Melodrama was an elegant choice, and indeed suited the passionate album. Lorde utilised common teenage emotions, such as love or hate, and  moulded them into her songs. Her listeners therefore feel a deeper connection to her lyrics, as they weren't simple or whimsical. 

The title track, "Green Light", displayed a different approach Lorde made toward song-writing. Sounding very 'radio pop', unlike her usual 'electronic-pop' style, the song was an instant hit between teens and adults. Green light was about a liberated Lorde, singing about the consequences her ex now faces after their breakup. Powerful lyrics drew listeners in, such as, "All those rumors, they have big teeth. I hope they bite you." Wow! Every stanza packed a sassy punch, and fans were happy to hear the unique change in style. Lorde brought forth an important message in Green Light. Humans are as the word implies, human. Nobody can ever let go of a loved one too easily, but Lorde sings with spirit,
''Cause, honey, I'll come get my things, but I can't let go,
I'm waiting for it, that green light, I want it."

''The Louvre", is an obsessive yet relatable song that fits the title Melodrama well. Lorde sings about being in a rather unhealthy relationship, loving somebody just a little too much. 
"I am your sweetheart, psychopathic crush.
Drink up your movements, still i can't get enough
I overthink your punctuation use,
not my fault, just a thing that my mind do."

Somehow, even if most people haven't had such a melodramatic experience, we can find we relate to her desperate longing. Haven't we all nit-picked over the simple grammar in a text our loved ones have sent us? Lorde even cleverly played with the lyrics, employing a grammatical error (my mind do), immediately after talking about grammar. In fact, Pitchfork named this couplet as one of the fifteen year-defining lyrics of 2017.

Lorde packs a powerful punch, with her feisty lyrics and clear voice. But Melodrama isn't simply about dramatic breakups, as heartbreaking track "Liability" proves otherwise. Liability, along with its meaningful lyrics of being used, is a raw undefined Lorde. There's no ruefulness or any resent present in her emotional voice, just a longing sadness. My personal favourite from Lorde, "Writer in the Dark", is another heart-wrenching track which reaches out to all listeners that stumble across the masterpiece. I find Melodrama doesn't feel like a simple stash of songs, but the album feels more like an empathetic message from Lorde herself. 

Finally, a song I believe to be the most relatable in all of Melodrama, is "Perfect Places". Perfect Places doesn't touch upon relationships at all, the song is about teenage years and the desperate hardships one faces. This song hits home in every heart, as Lorde has a talent for speaking up for the unsaid. Many believe teenagers are uncomplicated and problem-free. Lorde stresses this isn't the case, and being a teenager herself, she sings about her mistakes, describing herself as "young and ashamed," pleading to go to "perfect places". However, as the song ends, she sings, "All the nights spent of our faces, trying the find these perfect places. What are perfect places anyway?" The song leaves you questioning yourself, and the many nights you've spent crying. 

Lorde is an incredible lyricist, and uses her talent very well in the production of these songs. Her fabulous voice is like a flamingo in a flock of pigeons; very unique and precious. Of course, Lorde worked alongside producers to create this gem of an album (a special mention to Jack Antonoff). Melodrama will always have a special place in my heart, as the album is a stepping stone for a previously aged 17 year old Lorde, now grown up to be a mature 22 year old. Lorde alludes her maturity utilising lyrics that prove she's moved on from a rough breakup, such as "I hear sounds, brand new sounds in my mind." The album has sent important messages to all us listeners, from placing hope in our hearts even in the darkest of situations, to accepting we are human, and that we progress with time. I look forward to hearing her memorable voice live on in the musical industry for many more years!

• October 17, 2019 - 1:13am (Now Viewing)