Araw

Writers block is a plague and I'm infected. Hi, I'm Araw. I'm seventeen and I call myself I writer.

Went a little over the limit, but hopefully that's alright. Also, wtw got blocked on my laptop (school issued tech) so this probably has a ton of errors, but with any luck, it shouldn't be too bad.

Clicker #hybrid

5
No one's ever been able to describe what a clicker looks like, but today, I fear that I will be the unfortunate first. The clicking started twenty minutes ago, when the sun had finally disappeared under the horizon and the sky got dark. It sounded distant, so I assumed that it was an opossum or something tapping my window. After all, this forest is filled with such creatures and I doubt that they'd fear my cabin, especially after it's been here for so long. As the clicking became louder and more frequent, however, I became less convinced of my initial conclusions. A check of the window confirmed my suspicions. There was nothing there, but for a moment there seemed to be a flash of movement, something dashing by the glass. I wasn't entirely sure because that thing, if it existed, was black and wouldn't have looked any different from the night sky. It was also completely silent save for the now constant clicking. Still, I couldn't take any chances. In a mad rush, I drew the curtains, locked the door, and squeezed myself underneath my sofa. 

And that brings me to where I am now, struggling to write in this tight, mildew-scented space. The clicking's gotten louder. I am now convinced more than ever that this is a clicker, which shouldn't be possible. This area was declared safe. The chances that it could even find me should be slim. After all, there aren't that many of them and they don't live long. Based on information deduced from their human kill counts, only about three make it to adulthood in every generation within the country. Still, I guess nothing's impossible with a creature no living person's ever seen.

Just now, something slammed into the house and made it shake like an earthquake, the deafening sound of cracking wood reminiscent of bones being split. It was followed by an even louder crash, my door falling off its hinges and onto the old welcome mat, allowing the winter wind to flood my home and give further height to my goosebumps. It's a little hard to see, but I think I can see feet. I don't know how many there are, but I can see three toes on each foot, all with sharp talons digging into my floorboards. Oh, it's moving now, but oddly enough, its motion is silent, except for the clicking of course. Its steps are slow, methodical, like it knows where I'm hiding but hasn't found a good enough reason to engage yet. I'm worried that if my heart were to beat too fast and too loudly, it'll have a reason. 

The sofa just shook. It brushed past and as it did, two black feathers drifted gently onto the floor, just in front of my nose. They're so light that they seem to hover over the ground. At this point, I know I'm not going to make it. All I can do now is write as much as possible.

It stopped moving. Maybe I'm  in the clear. No I'm not. It's knocked the sofa over. I can see it now. I count eight bony, angular legs, though it might have more. It's standing over me like it's looking at me or smelling me, but it's got no eyes or nose. At least none that I can see through its void-black feathers. Dear lord, the thing's got huge ram's horns. No wonder it got through the door. 

Its face is opening up now. I think that's its mouth. All I see is teeth. Rows and rows, each spear-shaped and constantly bumping each other as the creature moves, clicking against each other.

It's coming closer.
It's got a hold of my head now.
It hurts. It hurts. It hurts. It hurts.
Have to keep writing.
Have to ke

[James Carlsen is the latest known human victim of the creatures known as clickers. These are his last written words, found on shredded pieces of paper in Carlsen's cabin which were later pieced together.]

• October 11, 2019 - 3:18am (Now Viewing)

• >_the stranger_<

Winners have finally been announced! https://writetheworld.com/groups/1/shared/137682/version/266609

• r|A|i|N

this is going to haunt me. seriously, i love this piece - the slow escalation from simple description to climax is riveting. great work!

• >_the stranger_<

Good job, and thanks for entering.

• hi i'm jackson ;)

I shivered. That was really good. And creepy. That was amazing.

• buddingauthor

Oh wow this gave me goosebumps! So creepy!(in a good way...)
    Also please check out my first ever contest #festivities and participate if you like