Big dipper

Nika

"There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."

This is a fiction story I'm writing about a girl and her little brother trying to survive the world on their own! Thanks for reading!

Nothing Yet Everything

PROMPT: Everyday Magic

0
Introduction: "Tick, tock, tick, tock, tick..." "SHUT UP ALREADY! MY TIME ISN'T UP YET!" "Holy crap Rana... you kinda killed your clock." My brother gawked at my hand as blood streamed from gashes in the soft skin of my palm. I shook my head and sighed. "Um... sorry dude. I... I should go." My chair scraped across the floor as I pushed away from the table where I was helping my brother with homework. Walking towards the door, I began to pick shards of glass out of my hand, wincing as each was removed. "Rana come back! I need help! Please?" Jonah, my brother threw his arms around me as I tried to open the door. I frowned and knelt in front of him, pulling him in for a hug. "Sorry Joe, I don't know where that came from. Just got real mad." "It's cool Rana! I'm gonna go try that math problem again!" he conjured a huge, jovial smile and raced back to the table, scribbling numbers on his paper. I rubbed my head and paced the small room. My brother and I used to live with our mother, Janice, who was a well known druggie, alcoholic, and as I call it around Jonah, a "public dancer." My dad, Barris or something, met Janice at the town bar during a karaoke night. If Janice had one redeeming quality, it would probably be her singing. She had a beautiful voice, which enticed Barry and created me. Barrey left before I was born, because he was a deadbeat and so was Janice, and left her to raise me alone. We never had a consistent home, always moving, hiding, sneaking... We once lived in a dumpster, no joke. We rarely ate meals, and when we did they were free bar food.     So after my 12th birthday, Janice announced that there would be a new member in our family, in other words, Jonah. Jonah's dad was named Harold, and he was a construction worker at a new job site in town. Harold stuck around until Jonah turned two and he realized Janice would never pull any family weight. A few months later, Janice became depressed, going out late at night, drinking more, and coming home less and less. One night she was real drunk, stumbling around the house, and she found Jonah, who was four at the time, drawing on the wall. She flipped out and began screaming how we ruined her life, and how she could have been a famous dancer... That's when I decided to leave. One night when she was out at the bar, I took Jonah and we escaped to a nearby city. That was around a year ago, and now we live in a foreclosed tiny home. Jonah goes to school at a nearby academy, while I work at the local diner as a waitress to feed our tiny family. When Jonah gets home, he walks to the diner and does his homework in one of the booths while I finish up my shift. On Saturday, he goes to a friend's house, and we spend Sundays together. Last Sunday we went out to get ice cream together, and he saw a kid playing on a shiny, new tablet and asked me what it was. I laughed and called it a 'fancy book'... but I couldn't help but feel as though I wasn't doing enough for the kid. "Hey I got it Rana! Come see! I'll explain it to you cause I understand it!" Jonah called from the table. I walked over with a smile and watched as he presented me with the answer.