Peer Review by RomanAce32 (United States of America)()

Bubble Bread

By: thelumosduck

Sugar, bread, and pecans all swirl together to create perhaps the most wonderful aroma that has ever graced the earth. I suck in a deep breath, relishing in the world’s best smell, as Mother scoops a generous pile of molasses sugar onto an already-full bowl and offers a spoon to me. 

“Just this one time,” she says, smiling, as I plunge it into the jar and withdraw a caramel-colored heap. It’s delicious, and I savor it as Mother continues to add the ingredients. A dash of salt. A teaspoon of vanilla. A sprinkle of cinnamon. Finally, she pronounces it complete.

I grin and toss my spoon into the sink as she takes out a package of yeast rolls from the freezer, patting them into a pan and brushing our mixture on top. (I can’t resist dipping the end of my spoon into it as she does.) Then it’s finished, and our special bread goes into the proving cabinet, where it will rise overnight before going into the oven.

This is something we’ve done every year on Christmas Eve for as long as I can remember. My first memories include this bread, and I wouldn’t want it any other way. It’s a recipe passed from mother to daughter for years and years that we make, and I plan to carry on the tradition (though my baking skills are dismal). 

Mother smiles at me and gives me a hug. “Now,” she says, “why don’t we go read a Christmas book?” 

And we do, with the flames flickering warmly on the hearth, curled up together in a blanket as the words, “‘Twas the night before Christmas,” rise into the air.

The title had my interest because I have never heard of bubble bread and want to learn what it is

Is this more sweet or salty? Because you describe adding ingredients about salty things and sweet things

Good and fun tradition that happens every year