thelumosduck

Leo.
Ravenpuff.
Elf.
Phoenix.
Polygot.
INTJ.
Inflictor.
Leopardess.
Artist.
Witch.
Archer.
Author.
Tribute.
Reader.
Dreamer.

Hey! Welcome to my profile page! I go by Emma or Lumos, whichever you prefer.

A little about me? I'm a Leo and a Ravenpuff who loves all things books and art. I love to travel and can play tons of instruments — but I can’t sing to save my life.

I have a bunny named Poppy and another named Rudolph who you might hear me mention, and I’m a huge fan of all animals. I’m a Western horseback rider, but I don’t like the Western/English fight. Let’s stay out of that.

My stories usually fall into the preteen/YA categories and are either magical realism, science fiction, or fantasy. I've written a 175 page novel and it’s my dream to get it published!

And always remember that “the anyways is the whole point” — Connect the Stars

Bubble Bread

Sugar, bread, and pecans all swirl together to create perhaps the most wonderful aroma that has ever graced the earth. I suck in a deep breath, relishing in the world’s best smell, as Mother scoops a generous pile of molasses sugar onto an already-full bowl and offers a spoon to me. 

“Just this one time,” she says, smiling, as I plunge it into the jar and withdraw a caramel-colored heap. It’s delicious, and I savor it as Mother continues to add the ingredients. A dash of salt. A teaspoon of vanilla. A sprinkle of cinnamon. Finally, she pronounces it complete.

I grin and toss my spoon into the sink as she takes out a package of yeast rolls from the freezer, patting them into a pan and brushing our mixture on top. (I can’t resist dipping the end of my spoon into it as she does.) Then it’s finished, and our special bread goes into the proving cabinet, where it will rise overnight before going into the oven.

This is something we’ve done every year on Christmas Eve for as long as I can remember. My first memories include this bread, and I wouldn’t want it any other way. It’s a recipe passed from mother to daughter for years and years that we make, and I plan to carry on the tradition (though my baking skills are dismal). 

Mother smiles at me and gives me a hug. “Now,” she says, “why don’t we go read a Christmas book?” 

And we do, with the flames flickering warmly on the hearth, curled up together in a blanket as the words, “‘Twas the night before Christmas,” rise into the air.

• spritegod

good use of imagery and this sounds like a food id want to try. also reminds me of a very similar memory i have but with a different food.

• Ale Calvillo

that sounds really good, i like the imagery

• aa5781

I love the imagery that is given here! The descriptive language really makes it easy to picture these scenes in your head or even almost smell the aromas you describe. The one sense that was missed that I think you could easily incorporate into this would be sound. You could talk about the sound of the thick molasses sticking to the spoon, etc. But it's definitely a delight for the senses either way :)