Charisse Marison

Disney Fan
Harry Styles Stan
Proud Hufflepuff
Theatre is my life
Favorite food: Everything!
Always trying to help out fellow writers get their voices heard
All of you are amazing people! Don't forget that :)

This is literally the SADDEST thing I have ever written. i'm sorry aceoftriangles that it went over the word limit a little, but I hope you like it! I haven't written too many short stories so I would love feedback! Also, tell me in the comments what you would name this dog! thanks for the support!

Bark #nonhumancomp

6
For me, everything started inside a box. An Amazon box, I think. I was just one of the many pups hoping to be selected for an owner.Yet,sadly, my cute eyes and droopy ears did not work on persuading people. Friends had gotten fit with a leash and collar, while I didn't even have a name. I just sat, waiting patiently, for someone to pick me up in their arms and give me endless cuddles. And finally, that day came. A young girl with braids picked me up carefully and gave me a toothless smile. I tried to give a friendly bark, but I just couldn't. I had never been able to. It hurt too bad. But I would do it for this little girl, no matter how hard it would be. Using all my strength, I gave a squeaky bark.
And collapsed into darkness.
When I woke up, I was laying on the streets, lungs hurting and no girl in sight. I really did try for her. But it turns out no one wants a sick dog for a pet. Especially a dog with tracheal collapse.
After living on the streets for a bit longer, searching for food,these guys in a truck come and put me in a cage. I honestly don't mind, since I lived most of my life in a box, but something about it makes me unsettled. I go to this place surrounded by fellow mutts also in cages, and I feel something strange. I think it is happiness, but I can't be sure. I mean, these dogs and I have gone through the same ordeal: abandonment by owners, never being picked, being the odd one out. They understand me. And I love it!
So, here I am today, still stuck here at the pound. I mean, the food isn't awful and the other dogs are super nice. It's better than any other home I've had.
But then weeks go by. A couple of people stop by my habitat, but when I try to bark to them, they walk away. Soon, the guys running this joint are giving me sad looks. I don't know why. Everything is fine!
But then this one guy opens my cage. Maybe someone has finally adopted me! Maybe I'm getting packed up to go!
The man takes me to a back room. Probably to meet my family.
Ooh I'm so excited!
But then he places me down on a table. I'm surrounded by medical equipment and more big tall people. They all have a look of regret on their face. What is going on?
Then, the one closest to me reaches for something sharp and pointy. He gives me a sad look and moves closer, needle-thing in hand. Suddenly, I know. This is a dog's worst nightmare. When no one loves you, when no one cares, they get rid of you. 
And now it's happening to me.
Closing my eyes, I give one last bark as it plunges into my paw as I fade to darkness.
This world wouldn't love me.
Maybe God will.

• Charisse Marison

I would name it Angel :)

• AbigailSauble

I would name the dog Trust.

• AbigailSauble

Aw ... this is so sad! But saying that doesn't sound right ...
    I'm no animal-activist, but I'm also not a believer in 'putting down' animals who have no home.
    Thanks for presenting this POV! =)
    Keep on!

• Charisse Marison

Sparkling embers can you send me the original contest link?

• SparklingEmbers

last chance if you want to enter #Home :)

• aceoftriangles

This is really good! Thank you so much for entering the comp, I'm currently working on my entry for yours. Short stories can be very hard to write but you nailed this one. :)

• Bookworm101

Ps the comp hashtag is: #NONhumancomp. But still. It's an AMAZING story. I love it so so much.