BurningMidnightOil

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Currently burning the midnight oil.
writer•poet•avid reader•musician•artist
Proud Slytherin
Child of Apollo
Dauntless
House Stark
Shadowhunter

Feedback and critique is very much welcomed:) They aid my quest for improvement!

Brumal Night #Experience

3
The frigid wind nipped at my exposed skin; my bare shoulders down to my fingers and legs, leaving gooseflesh in its wake. I shiver, teeth chattering rapidly. I unclenched my dry, shaking hands, taking in the fading white at the knuckles. I took a slow breath, in and out. I leapt. 

A thousand knives stabbed at my being as a sunk into the icy depths of the water. It was bottomless; a cavernous maw. The darkness was encompassing, digging its shadowy talons into me as I writhed and clawed for the surface. My head pounded the rhythm of a war drum as beads of precious oxygen escaped my lips. 

I would not die like this.

With fear stalking my heels, I sliced through the water with powerful and frantic strokes, kicking swiftly. I propelled myself toward the surface, a torpedo. My heart thumped erratically and wildly.

I broke the surface into millions of fractals and shards, gasping. The earlier wind was gone; only bitterly cold air hung over the mirrored lake. The moon was a waxen candle amidst the starry web of the universe; its light dribbling onto water, a wobbling pool of moonshine. The trees were but looming figures, minacious and frightening. 

I trembled with both cold and post-terror as I slowly swam back to shore, my head slipping back under periodically from fatigue. Once my feet brushed traces of land, my heartbeat began throbbing normally; steadily. I sloshed my way ashore, quivering and waterlogged. My feet scraped over sharp stones and twigs as I stumble back toward the flecks of lights in the distant mountains.
Finished: (22/09/2019 7:06PM)

Huge shoutout to @Blotted Ink with a Broken Quill for hosting the Elemental Feeling Contest. I had quite some fun writing this piece.

• MarSan

Your descriptions are always so vibrant and a joy to read, I love how this one, in particular, was crisp and piercing. I had never read a narration that described water in the way this one does (The whole breaking the surface as if it were glass, is just amazing). I was hooked from start to finish, there's really no weak points in this.
    "The moon was a waxen candle amidst the starry web of the universe; its light dribbling onto water, a wobbling pool of moonshine. " this part contrasts with the rest of the elements so well! It just gives it breathing space and changes the focus of the story (it gives a sense of peace to the reader, smoothly transcends from the climax to the ending). Overall, although it's short, this was a capturing and masterful piece! Keep on writing!