pencils.and.paper.roses

Director
NERD
Hopeless romantic
Equally hopeless Fangirl™️
16
Early senior
Queen
The Lumineers
Bird lover
Fascinated by Great Britain
Love M. Night Shyamalan movies
In love with Rami Malek
❤️

Only Sixteen

PROMPT: Child Narrator

1
“Bye-bye, Cassie!” 

Sissy is leaving for school. I don’t go to school yet because I’m only four. But next year I’ll go to school with Sissy and learn about numbers! I love numbers! They’re fun to say and Mommy helps me count. 

I watch the bus drive away from the sidewalk and then go to my room to play  with my toys by my bed, which is yellow. My doll named Abby is on my pillow.  

“Oh no!” Abby says to my bear, Cathy. Cathy’s baby bear is missing. It’s really just under my pillow, but Cathy doesn’t know that. 

I play with Cathy and Abby for a long time. Maybe two hours. Two is my favorite number. Two, two, twooo...

”Okay, Cathy! Time for bed! Time for bed, Abby!” I tuck Abby and Cathy under the blanket just like Mommy always does for me and then shut the light up. I have to stand on my tiptoes for that. “Sweet dreams!”

In the kitchen, mommy is making grilled cheese. “Grilled cheese!” I cheer.

“Come sit down, Cassie,” mommy says. “You can have your sandwich when it’s finished, okay?”

I nod and sit at the table and count while I wait. “One, two, three, four, six...”

”Almost!” Mommy tells me. “You forgot five! Why don’t you try again and I’ll count with you this time?” She puts my sandwich in front of me and sits down. “One, two, three, four...”

RINGRING, RINGRING, RINGRING! The phone interrupts. “No, phone, no!” I say.  “You know not to interrupt!”

“It does, doesn’t it?” Mommy laughs and stands up. “You just keep counting while I go see who it is.”

So Mommy goes to answer it and I keep counting. This time I remember five! And I go all the way to fifteen! But then Mommy yells and I stop counting. “Mommy, what’s wrong?”

She doesn’t answer me, just puts her hand over her mouth and starts to cry. “She was only sixteen... God, how could  this happen? She was only sixteen!”

Why is Mommy sad? What’s sad about numbers? I go to hug her, and she hugs me back, hard. “What happened, Mommy?” I whisper. 

Mommy wipes the tears from her eyes and looks at me very sadly. “Sissy’s gone now, Cassie. She isn’t coming home.”

• reviewers' club

Just wanted to ask if you've finished your reviews yet

• A Rose

Hey! I just wanted to say thank you for letting me know that only the foot note was showing up on my most recent piece. Fixed it!