Rachel Bryan

Ireland

13 year old Irish girl. I love to swim and write
My dream is to be a bestselling author and just to live life to the fullest. Well ok, my dream is to be a bestseller by the time I'm fifteen but hey gotta be realistic.

I would love it if you could check out the first 3 chapters of my novel, and if you're interested in being a beta reader and reading the whole novel, drop me an email at rachel.writes@outlook.ie. Thank you!

Favourite series at the moment:
The Mortal Instruments- Cassandra Clare
A Throne of Glass- Sarah J. Maas
Me Before You- Jojo Moyes
The Dark Tower- Stephen King

I write in phases, presently everything I write seems to be poetry (before it was very dark)- check out most of my recent work on this and you'll see what I mean.

It starts with a notebook #raincontest

1
Pages covered by ink, bound together by an orange cover. Who knew that those pages would mean anything? It had sat there in plain sight the whole time, just a simple journal. A place where she could carve her thoughts into those thin pages. Who knew that it starts with a notebook?
The pages told stories, fiction and poetry. It wasn't a journal. Mira had grown obsessed with these visions and dreams. And she wrote them down. 
Now she was gone. The governers must have found out. 
Johnathan fet tears prick his eyes, his sister was gone. All because she allowed the stories to overcome her. He shut the notebook, she had defied the governers. This was her price. 
Fiction, it can kill you. Mira knew that better than anyone, especially after what had happened to their grandfather.
.He shut the notebook, quickly. They had found a novel on her computer, he should have known that she was up to something when she had spent days locked in her room.  
The written word had destroyed his family.
It was against the law to write fiction, with good reason. There had been so many deaths, his grandfather included. So many overdosed. It wasn't right. 
The governers had taken her to one of their rehab centres. She would get better there, surely. 
But doubt filled him. He stared at the closed notebook in his hands. He had bought it for her. 
He had killed his sister. The tears flooded his eyes and blurred his vision. They rushed down his cheeks. and splattered onto the cover of the notebook. It starts with a notebook. 
He threw the notebook across the room. Trying to control his shaky breaths, he sat on his sister's bed. It creeked under his weight  The worst of it, was that he had bought her that notebook, gven it to her as a gift. Her addiction started because of him. He may as well have signed her death warrant. 
He stared at the notebook, it lay open on the floor. A part of him wanted him to burn it, to destroy the thing that killed his sister. 
His stomach churned, but if he burned it, a part of Mira would burn with it. 
He felt sick all of a sudden. He walked over to where the notebook lay.  The governers had yet to discover its existence. Once they did, they would surely burn it. 
He picked up the notebook, and taking in a deep breath, began to examine the words on the page. 
His heart sank to the bottom of his stomach.
"The governers are lying. They have been for years. By writing I am taking away the control they once had me. But now they know, they've discovered what I'm doing and I think they're going to kill me"
He read over those words, countless times. Each time the facts circled through his brain clearer and clearer. He checked the next few pages- nothing. This was the last thing Mira wrote. 
And then they killed her. They killed his litte sister. She wasn't in a rehab centre, when they took her away, she didn't protest. She had acceped her fate. He felt anger surge through him.
Because of them she would never live to see her fifteenth birthday. She would never graduate. She would never see her family again. 
He gripped the notebook, crinkling the edges of the fine paper.
It starts with a notebook.                                                                                                                                

• September 14, 2019 - 9:18am (Now Viewing)

• r|A|i|N

contest winners are announced!

• Rachel Bryan

Thanks so much! Glad you enjoyed it

• r|A|i|N

i love this! very powerful, particularly in the way “it starts with a notebook” is repeated periodically throughout the piece. i love the background hinted at here, while the main focus remains on the notebook. great work!