Screen shot 2016 05 01 at 3.43.14 pm

Grace Ow

Since I was young, I was a voracious reader and had a deep love of words and the way they could be used to convey meaning. I hope that my words and my stories would have a positive impact on others.

Focus more on the message than on the technicalities, because the focus is on my personal experience

15

PROMPT: [Insert Age]

0
Fifteen has always been an interesting age to people, probably because it is somewhere in the middle of our adolescence, past 13, which marks transition from childhood, but not quite reaching 18, when one leaves for adulthood. 15 is a time when one is properly in their teens, stuck in the middle of maturity and innocence, childhood and youth, chaos and order. 

15, to me, was one half confusion and the other half understanding. I had to constantly battle all the challenges of school life and try to find out who I am, all while living in a world where there is no black and white. Such is the state of existence which we call Life.

I can list the things I have learnt, most being outside the classroom. The first is forgiveness, on how to give a person time for forgiveness, and also to forgive someone. The second is the beauty of observation. Being an extremely talkative person, I have always been very self-absorbed in my own world, but recently I have discovered that sometimes it is necessary to sit back and take in all the sights the world has to offer, from which one can learn a great deal. Lastly, I have been reaffirmed in my belief in love and kindness. There is no other way in any human interaction where both sides are satisfied, or bring more positive energy than a smile or some consideration and thought.

To all my family and friends who have helped me grow and shaped me to be who I am today, I am eternally grateful. Thank you for giving me patience when I was a nuisance, for giving me counsel when needed, for showing me love and kindness every step of the way, and most of all: for making my 15th year a memorable and meaningful one. 

• April 27, 2016 - 4:25am (Now Viewing)