Screen shot 2016 05 01 at 3.43.14 pm

Grace Ow

Since I was young, I was a voracious reader and had a deep love of words and the way they could be used to convey meaning. I hope that my words and my stories would have a positive impact on others.

Every face that we see in a crowd has a story behind it. I am trying my best to listen, tell and share all the stories that I can.

Bribing Death

PROMPT: All Talk

0
Heavens, Bertram, is that you?

Good morning, madam. It's been ages since I last saw you. How have you been doing?

Not fantastic, but... I guess as best as I could be... How about you? How's the family?

Very good. My daughter's graduating from university.

Yes, I remember when you brought her to our house one weekend...

She had always wanted to see where I worked, which you were very generous to accept. 

Oh, it was nothing. You were one of our best house staff in years.

It's been, what five years, since I retired from Whitehall. I remember Bea as a little girl, running across the rose garden. She would be thirteen, now, wouldn't she?

Yes. We just celebrated her birthday a month ago.

Pause. I supposed you've seen the news. About Bea. 

Yes, it's rather awful. How much do they want?

A million dollars.

A sum which you can very well afford.

Which will be handed over to them as soon as possible.

Are you sure, about giving them the money so easily?

What's there to be unsure about?

You don't have to do this.

Of course I have to! It's Bea's life we're talking about! Every minute we're wasting-

I know, but try to be rational. You haven't been the same since Callum died in that fire ten years ago. 

Rational? If you were in my position, could you be rational? All I see is another one of my children dying right in front of my eyes again. Do you remember, the night we ran out of the house, Callum was just asleep. I wanted to go back for him, but I couldn't...

You tried your best, as we all did. These people have been hunting you for years. They were the ones who lit the fire that killed your son. They don't just want money, they want revenge. 

I know, they have always despised us with our old money for generations. Some dispute we had, a few generations back.  

So you know money wouldn't appease them.

Of course I know. But what other choice do I have? Someone tell me, What am I supposed to do? 

• May 1, 2016 - 1:26am (Now Viewing)