Photo

D-Thor

BUCKLE YOUR SEAT BELT BECAUSE YOU'RE IN FOR ONE AMAZING ROLLER COASTER OF WRITING. FROM THE MOMENT I STEP FOOT INTO MY COLLEGE WRITING AND RESEARCH CLASSROOM 100% OF MY WRITING MAGIC IS BEING FIRED DIRECTLY INTO YOUR BLOODSTREAM.

17

PROMPT: [Insert Age]

0
    It's amazing being able to feel so old, yet know you're so young. Since I was a child I've always looked at seventeen as the age when I would finally be old enough to fully understand the world around me. Old enough to know everything I'll ever need to know  and old enough to take charge of my life. 
    Those childish beliefs can only be partially true. The fact of the matter is that seventeen is the first shovel of coal being thrown in the locomotive at the start of a continental journey. Seventeen is an age when I finally grow up. I used to think that at seventeen I would be the one trying to grow, but I now realize that it's life that forces me to do so. It's expected that a student that at seventeen knows about as much as is necessary to function in the jungle outside of their homes and schools. I've learned a lot so far, but along with my knowledge came the knowledge that I don't know enough. They say that you never stop learning, but being just young enough to not know anything and just old enough to know enough that I'm not ready means that I can only dream of what experiences I'll have to cope with next. Seventeen is that feeling you had before your first swim as you, petrified by fear, can only be thrown into the water. It's a fear that creeps up on you and pushes  you over the edge.
    At seventeen, I finally take charge of my life, but not through my own will. At seventeen, my life is surrounded in uncertainty and fear as life pushes me forward into my future career. At seventeen, I'm expected to be an adult with none of the knowledge that comes with it. At seventeen, all I can do is jump.

• April 26, 2016 - 11:43am (Now Viewing)