Oscar_Locke

these are my letters
to myself.

what even is this

Iliad

9

The water divides our bodies
As if the skin can never touch
-
In halo light of swimming pools
You are heavenly
-
Beautiful as greek marble
Statued, carved by waves and kisses
-
Chin sharp, lips curled, and eyes
Their Aegean blue
-
I am drunk on your words (and their silences)
The moonlight like mercury
-
My muse;
We drift as like lilies
-
Search me
This myth I sing
-
As if you could ever touch
Leaving bruises
-
I mistake for the warmth of the sun
For you
-
Realer to me than the faces
Sculpted by Pygmalion
-
And the sea roars
Wine-dark, weeping
-
Others
And fingers feel me
-
But I can still hear you
Calling my name.
imagine being so desperate and sad and lonely you make up an imaginary boyfriend. imagine thinking of him when you hook up with people because those interactions are so devoid of emotion. imagine loving someone who doesn't exist.

hahahahahahahha. 

• September 7, 2019 - 8:07am (Now Viewing)

your poetry always flows so flawlessly, and your figurative language is so smooth it seems effortless. the style is simple but also not, somehow? i don't know how to put it into words, i just love this!

• Oscar_Locke

@Anha Thanks so much for your edit! It's is statued though lol.

oof oof oof, everything everyone else has said and more. these short phrases combine to give a narrative that is inextricably your own, yet alludes to so many other classic stories and acclaimed mythos. your poetry is absolutely magnificent, in every sense of the word.

(noticed there might be a spelling error though; in the third stanza, did you mean to write 'statues' instead of 'statued'?)

• aryelee

"I am drunk on your words (and their silences) / The moonlight like mercury", "I mistake for the warmth of the sun / For you", "Realer to me than the faces / Sculpted by Pygmalion", "And the sea roars / Wine-dark, weeping". these lines are so incredible and hold so much in them despite being so short. you have such gift with the way you use words and weave mythology into your pieces. every piece i read from you leaves me in awe, and this piece especially is so gorgeous!!

(and sorry if im stepping over bounds with this, but in regards to your footnote: im sorry that loneliness has such a strong hold on you. i hope that you one day find home in the people around you, whether it's as friends or something more. for now, i just hope my long comments brighten up your day if even for a brief moment)

• Wicked!

this is so beautifully and eloquently written. the imagery is splendid; 'I am drunk on your words (and their silences)/ The moonlight like mercury' is so damn good. and like PouringOutTheSun said, the emotions here, they're so potent.

• Ruthh

Pretty much what PouringOutTheSun said; this piece is so raw and poignant and I hope you find someone soon bro <3

• PouringOutTheSun

This whole thing is wonderful. It’s so good and the emotions that you’re conveying are so damn powerful. In relation to your footnotes though: I really, really hope you don’t feel desperately lonely forever. I hope you can find someone that will just wholly fill you up with emotion, preferably the good ones.

Once again, a fantastic piece of writing.