asteria

don't settle for the mundane;

chaos is far more intriguing.

been meaning to write this one for months now
finally got to it!

the human condition

15

and when the people sing their songs of
rotting shipwrecks and skeleton sailors,
my lips stretch in a savage smile;

they know little of the ocean's love for dead things,
the ocean's thirst for destruction and anger and rot.

and when the people sing their songs of
lusty-eyed sirens and hideous sea-serpents,
uncouth laughter thunders in my lungs;

what else could have sprung from millennia of misery?
what else, besides wave after pounding wave of salted rage?

~asteria

1

• intoxicating starlight

You truly are a unique talent. Some’s artistry pours from paintbrushes, their singing, a pencil, etc. You, Astoria? Yours leaks from your fingertips in the form of word after ravishing word.

• asteria

thank you! it really touches my heart to know you love my pieces so much & appreciate all the work i put into them :)

• ParisInFrance

asteria - you have such a wonderful way with words. i love logging on to wtw to find another piece of yours published. your voice is so interesting, and my goodness you write beautifully. i just wanted to reach out to appreciate the work that i'm sure goes into these pieces - yours is one of the profiles i find myself scrolling through every once in a while (okay, maybe more than every once in a while).

• maddier

Wow! truly gorgeous language!

• asteria

thank you so much for the feedback! i love it!

@fatpanda, i've been super busy this summer with work & volunteering at stuff, & now classes have begun, & i'm trying to pound out a schedule right now. so maybe i'll be able to login to wtw more routinely again :)

• fatpanda

where have you been? feedback-- evefything anha said, and given the fact that this idea has been on your mind for a while, the execution is simply beautiful. well done!

you seem to have quite a way with sea-salt imagery; speaking of "rotting shipwrecks", "the ocean's love for dead things" and that powerful last line, "wave after pounding wave of salted rage" implying humanity's influence on nature's wrath. simply lovely.