Juliana

Check out my music YouTube page!
Antiochian Orthodox Christian
17
Music major
Former homeschooler
Voice teacher
LOTR
The world, the flesh, and father smith
ESTJ

I've been working on this piece for over a month and I'm not done. It's one of those pieces that is too dear to me to not get perfect.
Also, it's for r|A|i|N|'s awesome contest (I think I wrote the name correctly...), which you should definitely go check out!

Broken Wheels #raincontest

1
    She could feel the morning mist start to tickle her toes. She laid down a bouquet of lilies and a paint-chipped comb.
    “I knew you’d forget it.” Her hand instinctively reached for the glossy, callous granite that bore his title, and almost just as instinctively, she began to weep. She wept not because he was gone but because she was left behind.
                                                             ------------------------------------------------
    “Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost. As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be, world without end. Aaaameeeeeen,” they sang, each slightly off from the other, which was understandable considering the size of the room and the misleading acoustics. As  Father Patrick put on his biretta, the usual few parishioners took their seats. The usual sparse seven of them waited for Father Patrick to put on his biretta as a cue for to take their seats. No matter how many positions she tried, Emma felt her spine stick out and rub against the wood. She suspected Father Patrick had cleverly chosen those pews to “assist them in their spiritual growth.” But the old-fashioned grandmother in the second row who always occupied the second row did not seem to be of the same mind as she kept a nice square pillow in her car for the weekends. She reasoned that if she was in pain, she could not possibly pay attention to God’s word and would instead focus on the so-called strengthening discomfort.
    As everyone settled, the sub-deacon trudged across the room. After, taking a languid genuflect on his right knee in front of the altar, he back up, and then made his way toto the lectern. She could see it in his steps, the heavy, sluggish movements of his feet like walking through molasses. He made sure to lift each foot fully off the ground to avoid tripping on his cassock that had always been a bit too long; they offered to hem it, but he didn’t see the point. For the past ten years or so, Emma’s father had always cared for his role as sub-deacon with the utmost reverence and devotion. But as he now stood in front of the congregation, one would have thought it was his first service. He began:
    "Therefore…humble your-yourselves under the m-mighty hand of God…that He may egs-ah-exalt you in due time, casting all your care upon Him… for He cares for you.” A visitor on the back row took a quick glance around the room. “Be sober, be vi-gi-ga…vi-gi-lant; because your adverse, your ad-ver-sary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may div-devour. Resist him, steady-steadfast in the faith… knowing that the same suffer-ings are experienced by your brotherhood in the word…in the world…”
    A mother shifted her sleeping child away from the glare of the moon coming through the east window. In her peripherals, Emma saw the choir director open to the hymn “O Trinity of Blessed Light” on pg. 16 and slip the Magnificat behind it. Although his expression revealed little thought, she could tell her father was stuck, lost perhaps. She anticipated his darting eyes, butBut his eyes did not dart and his hands did not shake and his feet did not shift. No, on his face was a blank stare— found only a blank stare,r rusted wheels that would not turn. There was no panic, no embarrassment; he simply stood there like a broken record. She began to lean forward, hoping, praying, even begging. Next word, go-to-the-next-word. She noticed the icon of caught sight of the Theotokos behind him and, closing her stinging eyes, took focused on taking three deep breaths, just as the deacon had taught her. One—two—three—
    “But may the God of all grace, who called…called us to His eter-eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after we have—after you have suffer…suffered a while, perfect, establish, strength-en, and settle you… To Him be the glory and the dominion forever and ever…Amen.” The rest of the lesson melted into the rose incense as she recalled that morning’s interaction with  her fatherhim.  She had laughed at his wild, uncombed hair, remarking that it looked almost like a fern coming out of his headHe had come downstairs with his hair flying in all directions. —the little he had left, that is. His response now echoed in her head: “I forgot skipped it again?” It didn’t seem so comical anymore.
    As the tears silently soaked her cheeks, his last words—the words that would pass out of all the minds that heard them as quickly as a knife through butter—those words broke her aching heart: “Here endeth the second, umm excuse me, the first lesson.”

This is about my uncle who has a brain tumor. (He is still living.) In a way, it's a true story; I listen to him read at church almost every weekend and it looks like this scene. It is not meant to be hopeless, but it is definitely painful. 

2

• r|A|i|N

contest winners are announced!

• Juliana

Oops, I forgot about that. Thank you so much!

• r|A|i|N

this is a beautiful and powerfully formatted story. your writing is expert—both sad and with a comical edge. really nice job.
    by the way, can you add #raincontest to your title so i can more easily look through the submissions? thank you!