Just A Dream

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

I’m an accidental overuser of commas, parentheses, and bold typeface.
I’m the biggest classic rock fan you’ll ever meet.
I’m a lover, not a fighter.

I’ll be continuing this piece. Keep an eye out.

The Windswept Girl With The Flowered Backpack (Revised)

13
“Who is she? What is she doing here? Where did she come from?”

The entire lunchroom is whispering it as she walks into the room. Choppy, self-cut brown hair. Raggedy shirt, jeans with the cuffs cut off. A grey backpack with pink and white flowers. She’s very windswept and very short, and when she looks around the room, her eyes widen in excitement. The paper sack in her hand quivers just as she does as she slowly heads toward a table. 

“I don’t know her,” I say quietly, more to myself than anyone in my group of friends. 

But it’s far from true. I do know her. Or I did, once upon a time. I helped her pick out the fabric for that misshapen, flowered backpack no one else would dream of wearing, then gave her the pattern for it. I helped her cut her hair just the way she wanted it. I showed her how to hem up her cut-offs, though it looks like she disregarded that advice. 

Once upon a time, we were friends. 

• Sabine of the Galaxy

I agree with New York_dreamer and fatpanda. Greta job!

• New York_dreamer

This is the kind of piece that is so good, I think it could turn into a pretty decent novel! I want to see the Windswept girl's personality, as well as her feelings to her new surroundings. I also want to see your narrator grow from that beautiful Once upon a time line. Amazing work, keep it up! :)

• fatpanda

this piece really reminds me of a book i read a couple of weeks ago-- 'stargirl' by jerry spinelli. was this piece inspired from it? the shortness of this piece is what adds to its uniqueness, and in short, i admire the writing here. well done!