PouringOutTheSun

Ireland

“In the darkness, two shadows, reaching through the hopeless heavy dusk. Their hands meet, and light spills in a flood, like a hundred golden urns pouring out the sun.” -Madeline Miller, “The Song Of Achilles.”

Hello! I wrote this for the fantasy/sci-fi workshop a while ago and decided to republish it! I don’t think the majority of you guys could see it before but I’m sorry if you could and now I’m reposting it again

Ever Heard Of A World Trying Harder Just For You?

8
If you were to unexpectedly find yourself in Aurelion for the first time, the first thing you would notice is that you feel a little heavier.

That’s the magic. It clings to ForeTolds like a second skin, makes a new home for itself across their bodies and they welcome it with starry-edged smiles. Prophecy children.  They glow softly as they race through Cyroknia’s twisted streets. The world, it highlights them in vibrancy. The winds smooths its fingers  fleetingly against their faces, the invisible hands at their backs, a guide to something better. Aurelion sees the magic settling and she beams with pride, going about her way to make the land worthy of their time. Each breath they take purifies the air. It gets harder to see the cracked stone and angry weeds in their peripheral vision. They stare at the rainbow moon and it stares right back. They use up some of Aurelion’s time and she makes more. 

“Anything for the blessed,” Aurelion thinks, as she knits them blankets of brighter night skies. She places dark flowers in plant boxes and  their perfume fills the air with song. A glimpse of a smile from the corner of her eye and Aurelion swells with pride, creating new valleys when she raises the earth in victory. 

A ForeTold arrives in Aurelion. They exhale the past and inhale the future.

And their lungs burn with promise.

• August 23, 2019 - 6:09pm (Now Viewing)

wow oh wow oh wow. you're an incredible fantasy writer - you should seriously think about publishing a book of short stories someday because these are phenomenal. i love the personification of Aurelion, and how she actively tries to make this world she is more beautiful. absolutely splendid in every way.

• weirdo

oh my god, how are you so freaking talented?! you packed so much beauty into this. you never cease to amaze me

• r|A|i|N

beautifully written, as always