Quille

I am
Quille
The Cliffhanger Queen
Stoneheart
A Best-Selling Author
An Indie Girl
(self-published)
Elfwriter
Homeschool Graduate
10Xer
"Be Obsessed Or Be Average."
-Grant Cardone

Blog:

http://abbigrace.com

Elfboy, Book 1 of The Pizza Shop Chronicles:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WFQHPBN

Hey guys, I won't be here for long, but while I am, remember that I'm here for you. I you need to talk, I'm here.
If you want a review, drop a comment on anything.

God Bless You All & Write On!

(remember the old me from 2018? She's back & better ;)

Making A Difference?

5
So, as many of you know, I recently published Elfboy as a Kindle ebook, currently free.

I'm super excited about it, and literally got my heart broke when someone on Twitter told me that I'm not a writer if I do it for free. 

They said that they only write to make a difference and the only way to make a difference was to make money while doing it. 

I do not believe this is true. And I said so. 

Their response was that I'm not a writer. 
And apparently I can't make a difference.

This is my response to them.

I can and will make a difference with my writing--I'm pretty sure I already have. If Amazon would let me have my book free all the time, that's how I would keep it. I'm not here to make a profit. If that's all I wanted, I would never write. 

I agree with them that it wouldn't be worth it to write if I couldn't make a difference, but I don't agree that you can only make a difference with profit. You can profit and there's nothing wrong with that--absolutely nothing wrong with profit--but you can make a difference without it. 

And any person who strings words together is a writer. Period. 
It doesn't matter if you're published, or making money, or if anybody reads it. You are a writer if you write. 

End rant :)

• August 21, 2019 - 10:24am (Now Viewing)

Thanks so much for your comments @Dmoral13 and @Juliana! You guys mean so much to me! :D
    Also, your plan sounds really great, @Dmoral13. I hope it works out great for you! :D

• Juliana

Whaaaat? That's ridiculous.

• Dmoral13

They're [the mean twitter person] is a bully and jealous of your writing skills and the fact you have a book published. Plus, the fact you're writing for no profit is amazing. Keep up the work Quille, you're loved here on WTW!
    Personally, I want to be a writer when I group up cause I love writing, but I know I won't make a living off of it. Therefore, I plan on being a foreign language major AND a writer. So boom, making money AND writer, but they don't correspond.
    (P.S: Just know we're all here for your support!)

@Silver Pen, you're exactly right! A win-win like that is one of the most powerful things in the world.
    I was mostly trying to get across here that you can make a difference without money as well and it can be a big one :)

• Silver Pen

I think that there's varying weight to both perspectives here. I don't believe in writing for profit or catering to audiences to the detriment of your conscience. On the flip side, money is one form of power. I think having power is important because that enables you to help people in a material way, such as by purchasing disaster relief supplies or contributing to orphanages.

In a short: writing makes a difference in people's souls. Money can make a difference in their circumstances. Putting them together is what is called a "win-win." I like win-wins. :)

@Victoria, thank you for your comment! :D
    Definitely should not cater to an audience--that's probably my #1 writing rule :D
    I self published on Amazon, they have a program you can sign up for called KDP (Kindle Direct Publishing) and it walks you through the steps. You can do both paperback and ebooks.
    There's a bit of red tape to setting up an account, but it's not horrible :)
    Pretty much the only thing you have to be careful of is formatting (which I still know nothing about since I got someone to help me with that--highly recommend getting some help, or finding tutorials). And you should probably get someone to read your work & help with a grammar check--it's amazing how many mistakes could be missed even after self-checking it like a billion times. :P

• Victoria Martin

Thank you so much for saying this. In my case im often told that I have to cater to an audience or write for money if i want to have success as an author. But its not the money that makes writing worth it,its writing in and of itself. So thanks for standing up for yourself:) also how did you publish yourself ?

Thank you! I'll totally check out your prompt! :DDD

• New York_dreamer

YES QUEEN, you tell them! This story sounds like it could be used for my prompt #truestory! I would love to see it put into a nonfiction short story piece! :) I'm really inspired by this, if you want to make this into a short story as a prompt, you can check out my post "My first Prompt! #truestory" :)
    Also, many congratulations on your new ebook!