the wayfarer

a teenage girl who enjoys her words.

Standing Steadily.

PROMPT: Imagine This

0
Imagine This: A young, educated girl in long skirts meets a young, hardworking boy who doesn't know that two plus two equals four. They become friends. Their country, the teeniest, most beautiful speck in Central America, is thrown into war, and for a long time, they do not see each other.

Years pass. The girl is sent to a land she never dreamed she'd get to see, to escape the cruelties of the war. There, she's taken under the wing of a man who becomes a father to her, and, as luck would have it, he is the uncle of her childhood friend. History repeats itself and they again become close friends. She stands in cold temperatures, cheering at his soccer matches, and he teaches her how to drive a beat up Toyota that wobbles in the wind. 

Eventually, she teaches him that two plus two equals four.

Slowly, they fall in love, but refuse to acknowledge the fact. After a long, long while, he finally works up the courage to ask her out, and she says yes. They marry, have a little girl with big brown eyes, and live in a pink-bricked house that stands steadily among old, ordinary wooden houses.

Just imagine that.