New York_dreamer

who, me? i'm just your average wild dreamer
"the more chaos reveals himself, the better my pen flows across my paper"
"love is love; sort of indescribable... you'll know it when you feel it"

leo
novella author
hopeless romantic
singer

Any feedback is welcomed and appreciated!

Don't just like, comment! I love getting feedback from you guys and if you ever need feedback from me (like a comment or a review) I would be so happy to help! Just let me know! :)

I could really use some reviews on this! :)

today

PROMPT: Child Narrator

44
"My name is Evy. Short for Everything. I'm called that by just about everyone, because I'm just about everything. Mommy says that I change who I am on the regular. And I know that's true because Mommy is always right.
    Like today, I am a reporter, talking to you. I am on the biggest tv news show in the world and fans all around are asking, 'Evy! How are so amazing, Evy?'"  

"Evy! Time to go, honey!"

Her ears perked up and her eyes searched frantically for the source of the soothing voice. She finally found her mother and smiled brightly. Evy turned back to the girl she was chatting with. "Bye Bye!" she called as she ran to her mother.

"Did you like your first day of 1st grade, my little Evy?" her mom asked on the drive home.
    "Oh yes, Momma! Today I was a reporter!"
    "I'm sure you were the best reporter there ever was."
Evy beamed. Her mother was her biggest supporter. Her partner in crime. Her protecter at all costs.

Or, in today's case, her camerawoman.

The whole way home, Evy and her mother giggled and talked and sang along to the songs in the car. Evy rolled down the window and stuck her head out, letting her flowing chestnut hair blow with the breeze.
    "Today, I am a pop star," she said, "driving in my tour bus to my next big concert with millions of screaming fans!"

Evy's mother laughed and her voice imitated a man barking, "Evy! Don't let the fans see your head out the window! They will follow us everywhere for sure!"
    "You're right!" Evy giggled, and stuck her head back in the car. "Today, I am the queen of England, riding in my limo to the palace.
    "My queen, would you like your afternoon snack on this lovely ride?" her mother asked in a rough British accent.
    "Why yes, thank you ever so much. Cheerio!" cried Evy.

Her mother started to laugh, but it faded away. "Why do I smell smoke?" she asked.
Evy's insides flipped. Mommy never sounded this serious unless something bad was happening. They turned the corner to their house and found it engulfed in flames. With a scream from Evy and a gasp from her mother, the two stared back in silence. Evy could hear the dialing and 911 talking to her mother. Then Evy remembered, Tom!! Her beloved stuffed cat was still in there! She jumped out of the car and ran inside, ignoring the frantic shouts behind her. Today, I am a firefighter, saving a helpless person in the fire!

She got to her room, already coughing from the smoke clouding her lungs. Barely able to see, Evy trudged on. She just had to find her stuffy, her best friend. Feeling around, guessing where he might be, Evy pleaded Tom to just show himself! Finally, she felt his soft, yet singed fur and grabbed him, clutching the little stuffed cat to her heart. Turning back, Evy raced back down the stairs to her mother, screaming through the doorway.

Today, I'm a life saver.

Suddenly, the ceiling above her started to collapse. Everything was coming down in flames and smoke. Evy looked into her mother's eyes.

Today...

She threw Tom to her mother. Today I saved someone...

EPILOGUE

Mrs. Johnson wiped yet another tear from her eye. It had only been days since the fire and it felt like Eternity herself had flown away, out of sight. She looked down at the tombstone before her and remembered all the good times with her daughter, her best friend, the best thing that happened to her. Growing quick, but gone so fast.
    She laid down the still smoky, blackened stuffed cat that she loved. He would lay here with her, the last remnant of her amazing, unique personality.
    "Today, Everything Grace Johnson is in a better place, where she can be everything, everyday." 

Ohhhhhh so sadddddd

Hi! I'm doing a competition if you would like to enter! You are one of my followers so that is why I invited you. If you don't join, that's fine! https://writetheworld.com/groups/1/shared/%20151706/version/297414 Have a great day!

• Bookworm101

Oh yes! I agree with @Tushar Mandhan!
    Didn't I say this before? I could've sworn I did.... anyway, it's all pretty much been said before, but this is so beautiful! I love Evy so so much, and also agree with @and-peggy, please continue her story!!!!
    :D

• WitchyKitty

I'm so glad you've reposted it, this is one of my favorite stories I've seen on this website!! I do hope you continue her story :)

• Tushar Mandhan

I felt nostalgic while reading this story again! So good to see you again.

• New York_dreamer

I would like to thank everyone for the feedback I've received. You guys are the best! For all you Evy fans out there, I must confess a little secret... her journey is quite far from over... ;)

• Maryam Q

This is so beautiful!! Nice work!

• Sunflower~

Great story! It was amazing! Interesting spin of events. :)

• Jayne Elle

Wow is all I can say. This was beautifully written and I love it!

• Y.S ☮

thats a huge mood change...

• lianhabanana!

Oh wow!
    That is actually Amazing.
    I agree with The Bubbling Pen, Evy is indeed a beautiful soul.
    Great Job!
    I think you captured the way a child's mind works really well if that makes sense.
    Andddd i am internally sobbing.

• The Idiotic Philosopher

It's adorable. Almost made me cry. :'(

• ajamwal

:,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((, so sad, but beautiful.

• Aurora Borealis_03

This is just wow. I can't say anymore.

• New York_dreamer

Oh my goodness guys you all made my day! So lucky to have peers like you :) Special little hint for everyone... Evy's journey might not be over yet! ;)

• Cornflower Burst

Just a Dream is right. I can imagine little Evy, and more ghastly things like flaming houses. Or the time I thought our cabin was burning down.

New York_dreamer, you are an absolutely amazing writer. And you really do find the way children act, and even Be. I love everything about the story. Great job!

Good wishes and good writing!

• The Moving Finger Writes

WOW. Wow, wow, wow. You capture the essence of the child narrator absolutely perfectly, and the style in which you wrote it (“today I am a reporter!”) just adds to it.

Your last line as well was perfect. On the whole this is just such a gorgeous piece and so well-written. Fantastic job.

• WitchyKitty

This is BEAUTIFUL!! (And devastating). I don't just speak for myself, but for everybody who read this- you've captured our hearts. I feel broken inside. Amazing writing as usual, keep up the great work!

• Dmoral

• IwillWRITE!13

Something that might be cool to try, is to change how the story ends. I hope to do that someday when I get a story that I want too. This is a beautiful story, even the sadness adds to it.

• Elizabeth Chancey

Awwwww!!!!

• Artburger

Sad but a great story. Did a good job making us feel for the character.

• Radiant sunshine

Truly amazing!!!

• Aurora Borealis_03

An awesome story... Loved it!!

• KaylaM78

This was such a beautiful story. I literally have tears in my eyes right now. Amazing job and keep writing!

• New York_dreamer

Thank you all so much! This all means so much to me <3

• Dream impossibilities

So sad, but beautifully written. You described the soul of a child so uniquely and their passion for the small things that we see unimportant. Lovely.

• the bubbling pen

so bittersweet, I have goosebumps riding up my arms - dear Evy, what a gorgeous soul xx

• panda!

My heart is beating so fast right now, I was really scared towards the end. You've done an excellent job at the end and start. The emotions at the beginning makes the narrative happy and hopeful, and I wasn't at all expecting such a drastic plot twist. Good job!

• Wicked!

I agree with @IwillWRITE!13

• IwillWRITE!13

This is both sad and sweet, in a good way.