Jake from state farm

Historical fiction.

I like Ike

Thomas, Krebsbach
Ms, Mckeag and Mr, Pittman
American Humanities

I like Ike
        The letter reads “Eisenhower, Dwight by the law of the U.S. Government you will now be acknowledged as brigadier general by the U.S. military and must report for active duty and be transferred to Washington D.C.,” I look down at the paper seeing things that I don't believe but the next thing I know I'm on a plane heading to D.C. My friend Mason rine is next to me because, he got the same promotion but was assigned to a different sector, unfortunately. I would of been very excited to work with that brilliant mind of his. Before everything starts I take time to worry for my family, I hope that they will not lose me in the war.
        When we arrive in D.C there are hundreds of people waiting to meet us cheering and yelling, “kill the japs,” in a chant. We finally arrive at the White House and the place smells dirty. I would have never imaged that the white house was as full as it is now, people look like they haven't left in weeks. There is literally a sub sandwich booth in the middle of the hall, and the hall is flooded with people. A man in a black suit and brown loafers comes up to me and Mason and asks us politely to follow him to the intelligence room so we follow him. When he opens a door, we notice the place looks absolutely disgusting, there is paper all over the place, and people are sleeping on the side chairs.
There are hundreds of people in the intelligence room auditorium and there are rows of high ranking officials standing at podiums. The man in the middle stands tall and says by order of the court this discussion is now started. Everyone sits in their seats including Mason and I.
        “We are here today to vote on utilizing the nuclear bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, in Japan. These people deserve to pay for what they have done to Pearl Harbor and China. They have been in a constant state of war with China and China is not winning, these bombs will be their saviors.” Says the man on the podium. He moves away from the podium and sits down in his seat. Joseph Stalin walks towards the podium. He starts to speak in his thick Russian accent, and he says
“This is not only about Japan but the Axis powers themselves. If Japan does not surrender it is their fault. They have been given that choice, it is not up to us to stop this it is up to them. It is like them dropping the bombs on themselves not America dropping the bombs on them. but if they surrender, Germany will lose power and hope. Even if we drop, the bomb Germany still loses hope and power.” He salutes the crowd and seats himself. The crowd is extremely talkative. Then Winston Churchill moves to the podium. He starts his speech, but it goes on for several hours. That really inspires everyone in the auditorium to keep their speeches short for next time. Now it is time for me to speak. I start by saying,
“I understand that we are all mad at Japan but look at it from their perspective. We should not bomb these cities. It is not these civilians fault that their government has hurt innocent people for crimes they have not done. Why should we hold the power to enforce judgment on people who are innocent. Does it sound right to kill innocent people, just to get back at the ones who are corrupt. Doesn’t that make us just as corrupt?” I walk back to my seat realizing that my hands are shaking and that I am profusely sweating, but all I can hear are the conversations throughout the crowd. Hours of more conversation are prolonged by other speeches.
        But then the man comes back up to the podium and tells people to cast their votes on the papers in front of them. Everyone picks up the pencils provided to them and hastily writes down their answers. I gently take my pencil and write down this is not the answer and stick it in the ballot box. The man at the podium waits for the results of the ballots. I am extremely nervous, and I realize this very moment will change our lives forever. This moment will be a turning point for the world. We all wait for about a hour and then the man stands back up on the podium he says according to the vote we have decided that on August 6, 1945 Hiroshima and Nagasaki will be the first receivers of the nuclear bomb. I feel as if my heart has dropped 1,000 feet people in the crowd cheer but all I can think is how big of a mistake all these people have made. 

• April 19, 2016 - 10:39am (Now Viewing)