loveletterstosappho

writer of stories, lover of girls

final draft, here goes

skinny-dipping

You haven't gone swimming since the diagnosis, and maybe you shouldn't, but you feel so alive teetering on the lake's edge where a breeze traces the lines of your limbs and cold water laps at your toes. Above you, cicadas sing so eagerly you're sure they're celebrating your shared freedom, their tiny bodies pulsing. The lake reflects hazy, blurred constellations; you can already anticipate your body slicing through Ursa Major and breaking into the cosmos, thrill and stardust soaking your hair—cold, invigorating. You shiver, phantom water droplets dripping down your thin skin. Enough waiting, you decide. 
    You jump. 

• artificialaorta

ghghghjg this piece is stunning and i'm so glad to see it shine like it deserves. 'Above you, cicadas sing so eagerly you're sure they're celebrating your shared freedom, their tiny bodies pulsing' is a beautiful addition, much more in tune with the rest of the song this sings. also 'thrill and stardust soaking your hair—cold, invigorating' is a gorgeous improvement

"you can already anticipate your body slicing through Ursa Major and breaking into the cosmos, thrill and stardust soaking your hair" has to be my favorite line, but it's difficult to choose-- even though it's a flash fiction piece and has to be short, you managed to pack so much realistic and beautiful imagery into this piece.

• ghostlyglory

lovely, vivid, beautiful.

• weirdo

amazing and absolutely beautiful. it’s hard to believe this is only 99. i’ve already read this like ten times and it never gets boring

• nonriel

Lovely imagery. This is wonderful :)

• BurningMidnightOil

Absolutely stunning. The metaphor is phenomenal, beautiful even. Your voice paints a story that allows me to feel as if I was there and living the moment. Very well done! Best of luck in the competition:)