reviewers' club

"To write is human, to edit is divine."
Stephen King

This is a club for writers who want to help and be helped. To know more, please read the first published piece "An Introduction".

An Introduction

17
Hello.

I'm sure a lot of you have noticed that the quality and quantity of reviews on this site is decreasing every day, and this is bad news for the community. Feedback is crucial to writing; it helps authors know their strengths and improve upon their weaknesses. Without feedback, we feel less like we're telling a story, and more like we're shouting into the void.

This club was made to remedy that.

Most of you probably know the works by now, but just in case:

This is a club where members will be randomly paired up each month. These writer pairs will have to review a set amount of their partner's works.

Rules and other things you need to know:

1. To become a member, you must follow this profile.

2. Members will have to review 2 of their partner's pieces each month.

3. These reviews will have to be adequately detailed, with highlights, comments, and praise and criticism given where it's due.

4. If your reviews aren't helpful, as judged by both the receiver and the club, then you'll have to submit more. 

5. If you feel like the reviews you have received aren't detailed enough, you may comment on one of our pieces saying so, and we'll look it over and decide whether you receive a new review or not. Please don't hesitate in doing so, all members including you must receive quality reviews.

6. We will be doing random checks on the reviews you've submitted, to make sure they're up to standard.

7. The pairs will be announced maybe a week before the new month starts.

8. If you're too busy to review one month, please let us know in advance, so we can take you off that month's lists.

I'll be starting the assignments in September. Until then, I'll be republishing this a lot so we can get as many members as possible, so I'm sorry in advance if this piece keeps clogging up your feed.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the comments.

Happy writing!

• August 15, 2019 - 9:31am (Now Viewing)

• Fernweh

Great initiative!!
    Do you think you could squeeze me into this month's schedule or something...?
    Looking forward to work with you!

• A Rose

Hi! This is completely amazing and I'd love to join next month since this months has already been posted?

• BurningMidnightOil

I’d love to join! Since you already posted this month’s pairings, could I join next month? Or is it not too late to join this months?

• pineapples

sounds awesome!

• Just A Dream

Joining a bit late, but I’d love to join this.

• EmTheCoolOne

This sounds awesome

• Dmoral13

......

• Harlow

still waiting for those assignments

Just realized I never commented :P

I'm in!
    Pretty sure my reviews would qualify as decent :)

• ajamwal ꒰•̹͡ິु•ິू꒱

Will we get to know our partner in September or earlier, I can't wait!!!!!!

• ajamwal ꒰•̹͡ິु•ິू꒱

ok

• reviewers' club

@ajamwal,
    just refer to me as @admin ig

• ajamwal ꒰•̹͡ິु•ິू꒱

Thanks for the response on my piece, another question I had was, should we call you @Kenny or @reviewers' club?

• ajamwal ꒰•̹͡ິु•ິू꒱

This group was a great idea, it was very kind and smart of you to create another profile for it, it is way more organized. But I think it is a bit harsh to give consequences to those who have bad reviews. What if they are not experienced enough, the whole point of this group is to improve review qualities not discourage struggling reviewers. I don't think consequences are the best idea, we should definitely contact them, tell them what they can improve, but not give them consequences, but INVITE them to the group. We should warn them that it will be strict and hard and end it with keep trying to review. What do you think?

maybe when you're detailing the standards, you should link reviews/reviewers that you think are good examples? i feel like some people consider their reviews to be adequately detailed only because they don't really know what a really detailed, helpful review looks like.

• reviewers' club

@anha,
    yes, i was planning on it.
    @r|A|i|N
    i'll be posting a piece detailing the standards in a few days.

with the new addition of the review panel on the writer's profile, you can easily judge whether the reviews they give are up to standard. i suggest personally contacting people whose reviews perhaps need improvement before letting them join the group without consequences.

• toidi eht setuhcarap

I am looking forward to this immenselly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Harlow

WHOOP! Excited!

• Harlow

WHOOP! Excited!

• weirdo

sounds great! can’t wait until the first reviewing assignments come out

• New York_dreamer

i'm so in! I love giving others feedback and as much help as i can possibly give. super excited! :)

i agree with r|A|i|N! i put time and effort into my reviews, and i try to make them as helpful and detailed as i can while still being encouraging. i feel like the community on wtw as of late hasn't been as connected, and there seems to be less feedback and support than there was before. i feel like this club will help with that! thx for making it!

• r|A|i|N

very excited to join - i usually spend around an hour writing a review, and i'm always very disappointed when, in return, i receive reviews that have one-sentence answers and little or no highlights. you mention a "standard" that all reviews will have to match. i'm wondering what the standard is? i think it makes sense for members of the club to be aware of what they're expected to do. maybe you could include the exact expectations for reviews in a future piece? anyway, thank you for making this group. i can't wait to take part.