Harlow

A human that does stuff with words among other humans who do other stuff with words

DEEP THOUGHT WINNERS: Zalma and MarSan!!

In schools across the nation, the hot topics of the Civil Rights Movement are highlighted. We all know Dr. King, Rosa Parks, and the Emmett Till. We've all heard of The March on Washington, the Montgomery Bus Boycott, and Bloody Sunday. This, dear reader, is the story of lesser-known heroes in the Civil Rights Movement. Their actions forged the path for generations to follow. This is a thank you and an argument to help them.

The Port Chicago 50: An Argumentative Essay on the Posthumous Pardoning of the Navy's Civil Rights Heroes

0
    It was 10:18 p.m. at the Port Chicago California Naval Magazine, and the men had finished loading thousands of tons of ammunition onto the Quinalt Victory and E.A. Bryan for the day. Left on the docks were another few hundred tons of explosives in railcars. These bombs were armed, "hot cargo" as the sailors called it. The men in their barracks were preparing for or already in bed. Another group of men was still loading the two ships. Moments later, the cracking of crushed wood and the ringing of an explosion rung out across the pier. A few more moments later, scalding hunks of metal were sent into the sky with white-hot flashes of the exploding cargo. That day, July 17, 1944, 320 men were killed in addition to another 390 wounded. This catastrophe, however, was just the beginning of the story for 50 African-American men who took a stand against the injustices that occurred after the explosion. This is the story of the Port Chicago Mutiny.

1

• Kenny

Hey, you expressed interest in joining my reviewing club! Here's the link: