she’s-got-a-story

ghost town

i tried to tell about the night... and i could not tell it; as i cannot tell it now.
-hemingway

i know i’m bound to lose / when i feel the need to use why i’m full
-wallows, i’m full

thank you so, so much to everyone who reviewed this piece. your feedback, thoughts, and support have been extremely helpful and encouraging. the first competition I ever entered on WtW was flash fiction in 2016. so much has changed in my life since then, and I get the feeling that something has gone full circle. this story-- the story of being caught between ground and sky, earth and heaven, sanity and madness-- has been turning in my mind for a long time now, and I'm glad I get to share it with you. thank you for reading, and liking, and commenting. it means a lot.

Gravité

Martin from French IV stands like a stalactite. Why are we on the ceiling of my old bedroom? The last time I saw him or that house was sophomore year, but we're together, upside-down. Just left of the ceiling fan. 
"Are you St. Peter?" 
"I'm afraid of heights."
This isn't height; it's descent into madness, I'm sure. Soon the room will start to melt upwards, and I will wake in sterility sans Martin. Unless those purple-curtained windows really are the Pearly Gates. 
"Martin, if I jump out, will I fall up or down?"
"Down, into the sky."

came looking for this piece again because this is one of the only pieces i've read on this site that has truly stuck with me. i don't understand how it's even possible to write something this incredible in such few words; i've re-read it three times just now, and i'm still in awe. "martin, if i jump out, will i fall up or down?/down, into the sky" is still my favorite ending to any piece i've read on wtw and most pieces i've read outside of wtw as well. your writing is how i aspire to be able to write someday, and i'm not kidding when i say that if you ever publish an anthology, i would buy it the moment it came out.