Picture?width=128&height=128

Marit Thostenson

16

PROMPT: [Insert Age]

0
For some reason, everyone thinks that sixteen must be this magical age. We all become beautiful, we can magically drive, we all become super popular and get the boy or girl of our dreams, we all get super rich, we magically become adults over night...

Yeah, news flash:
It doesn't happen.

At least not for me it didn't, if it did for you, please let me know. Sixteen scared me. My parents are super strict, and I still don't have my license - it's two months until my seventeenth birthday. I didn't have a party, almost no one wished me happy birthday, there was nothing special or magical about my birthday. It was a major letdown, even for a typical non-birthday day.

My childhood wasn't anything magical, either. I was a suicidal kid from sixth until ninth grade. Not really any one factor, it was really just a bunch of little things. My biggest fear is to fall back into that, and odds are I will. But I hope to become so much more than what I was when I was like that.

I want to be an exciting, wise, adventurous person. Someone who is incredibly immature with a mature way of going about it. I'd love to travel the world - I have already started to do that, but I want to learn the secrets of where I live, as well. The world holds so many stories, so many secrets, that I want to learn them all. Every single one of them - and discover and make some of my own.

But I'm scared. There are so many things going on in this world, and I don't know how to get around them. You are no longer safe anywhere you live, regardless of how safe you really feel. I probably can't get around all of them. At some point, I'm going to run into some sort of issue, it just is a matter of what and when and where.

Life is never the magical thing it used to look like when you were a kid. Life is brutal. Life is incredibly depressing. And yet, as humans, we are able to make one another happy. As the most intelligent and sophisticated of all of the animals and insects and fish and anything else that roams this earth, we can make each other smile and laugh, we can make memories with each other that last a lifetime - sometimes more. Maybe that is the magic we see as young children - the opportunity to make each other happy, and the magic is within us all, if we only look for it.

• wanderer

I understand how you feel! Life is incredibly hard, but you can and will get through it. Go out into the world and live your adventure .Don't ever stop writing!