Oscar_Locke

these are my letters
to myself.

tbh global warming (or pollution, or nuclear war) might also kill all apple trees. it's a rather evocative image though, of an apple tree being the last living thing.

Garden of the Hesperides

10

atrophied, an apple tree
her roots are rowan, are red
the starving of soil
to keep giving in end

like the scorch of july, baked black
furled branches still bear
apples, ageless
as emerald to green

she sings to her seeds, her
orphans of spring
they clutch to the root, the
promise of winter

and ring
of the bullets and the bombs and
the taste of sunlight, summer
as storms to shaking

and when they take her body
and her roots, rowan
now baptized by blood, her apples
are snapped free

eaten, and spat,
a sheen
taking, take me,
when the sky is like ash, and

we are memory
her children will cover us, covering
in their bodies of emerald,
an end to everything.

• August 3, 2019 - 2:52am (Now Viewing)

• jaii

your descriptions are amazing, as always. the figurative language you use is perfect. i’m in awe

• ForgetMeNot

This poem completely transported me. The imagery is so powerful and it’s moving in a way that I’ve never seen before

• ForgetMeNot

i wish there was a way you could double or triple like something on this website. this piece is so- just- i don't know how to put into words what i felt reading it? your descriptions are seamless, effortless, and so... i guess professional is the word i'm looking for? this reads like something you would find in a published poetry anthology, not a website for young writers.

• r|A|i|N

i'm speechless. the placement of every line is so perfect, and your metaphors (as always) are the best they could be. it's hard to pick a few favorite lines from this poem, because they're all so good, but a few of the very best are "rowan / now baptized by blood" and "the bullets and bombs and / the taste of sunlight". the imagery is so beautiful. great work.

vivid and bittersweet; the emotion this poem gives me is indescribable. your signature style brings insight into every facet of the human existence. love your work!!

• Poppy.M

Wow! The imagery is so powerful and the language is beautiful! Amazing job :)