PouringOutTheSun

Ireland

“In the darkness, two shadows, reaching through the hopeless heavy dusk. Their hands meet, and light spills in a flood, like a hundred golden urns pouring out the sun.” -Madeline Miller, “The Song Of Achilles.”

#blacklivesmatter

Spent a while rewriting bits and pieces of this. Tell me what you think!

Apollo? Hold Him Gently.

10
Your eyes hurt because the light of the new world hits them differently. Your mouth, it tastes like dawn and yet your teeth scream of blood and war and massacre all because they are pointed at the tips.

Your lips glow blue with the start of every ice age and when they thaw I can still see their redness behind my closed eyes. Your skin, it gleams, like every creature born in that damned pit teetering on the edge of time. I take your hand in mine and I grit my own teeth and I stick it out because you are so so beautiful with your hair like that, fisted in the breath of clouds. I kiss your cheek and bruise my lips on the marble they used to sculpt you but I’ve long since decided a few bruises are worth it. They are unavoidably worth it when you love a person who would sing to the moon more often if only she would listen.

You’ve pointed your finger at the sky throughout your time here with me. “There’s Icarus,” you would whisper in my ear, “do you think he will be so gold in the murk of the sea?” And I laugh, if only politely because you’re making light of what is to be your own fate. You only ever wanted to touch the stars (their light is older, more forgiving) but my moon-shadow dear, my stained glass darling, the sun is a star too and he is none too kind, no matter how blinding his smile is.

• July 28, 2019 - 4:03pm (Now Viewing)

words can be used passively or actively, but yours transcend that; they get up and dance, they jump and fly and sob and hit the ground. amazing piece.

• loveletterstosappho

i can't get enough of your writing, so lovely and lyrical and brilliant. i think my favorite line is "I kiss your cheek and bruise my lips on the marble they used to sculpt you but I've long since decided a few bruises are worth it." it isn't the one with the most gorgeous prose but it's the one that hit me the hardest. amazing.

i forgot to comment because i was just lost in the pattern of reading this over and over again. god, every stanza is perfection, with "tastes like dawn" and "fisted in the breath of clouds" and "do you think he will be so gold in the murk of the sea?" the last few lines really hit me hard, that longing, that wishing, and the worst part, the knowing. love your work!!

• Oscar_Locke

You have such a beautiful narrative voice. Cherish it <3!

• aryelee

your prose is so beautiful, everything flows so well. the imagery is incredible, i just can't get enough of this!!