PouringOutTheSun

Ireland

“In the darkness, two shadows, reaching through the hopeless heavy dusk. Their hands meet, and light spills in a flood, like a hundred golden urns pouring out the sun.” -Madeline Miller, “The Song Of Achilles.”

And Another One Again

7
“You found a god on one of the backroads?”

He nodded sharply, hands clasped behind his back and eyes cast towards the ground. “Yeah,” he whispered, “said they knew what the end of the world tasted like.”

“Well, what does it taste like?”

“Uh, like sugar? Only a little burnt.”

I laughed, a high brittle sound. He screwed up his face as he heard it and I didn’t fault him for it. It was probably like broken glass against the ears. “So, the apocalypse tastes like caramel then.”

Burnt caramel.”

“Yup.” I sat down for a moment in one of those horrible oak chairs, “so, where are they now?”

“Oh, they sort of bled out. By the side of the road.”

My mouth made a little O shape in surprise. “Is that so? Cast out then?”

He rubbed at one of his hands and I watched as gold flakes fell idly to the ground. “Stab wounds and a broken body. He was thrown from the sky.”

I wonder how many cars had passed them before Oran finally stepped out of his, light gleaming from his head like some deathly pale angel. “I hope you held their head gently.”

“Oh yeah, I cradled it,” he must have tried to plug the wounds with his fingers because there was so much dried blood on them. “Made horrible gaspy breaths as he went. Terribly mortal-like.”

The sun was setting very dramatically outside, like someone had split open the earth and was letting it’s blood pour out and up into the sky. “Well we know they weren’t a god of the sky anyway.” I said, gesturing towards the window.

“Suppose not,” Oran said and then he quietly left to go and wash his hands.

2
  • July 27, 2019 - 9:30am (Now Viewing)

i agree with anha, i would love more context to this! i also adore your writing style here. my favorite lines were the part about the apocalypse tasting like burnt caramel, the description of the narrator's laughter, and the line, "The sun was setting very dramatically outside, like someone had split open the earth and was letting it’s blood pour out and up into the sky." so beautiful.

i'm a little confused about the context behind this piece, but that just makes me want to see more! interesting to see more of oran's character and backstory revealed, even though i don't totally understand it yet. the relationship between oran and the narrator seems like one i'd like to see more of - kind of used to, trusting, but with a bit of an edge to it, like they're not quite comfortable with each other yet. love that the apocalypse tastes like burnt caramel.

• Upsidownpenguin

I hate to be that guy, but in the second to last paragraph, you use the wrong its.
    Still a wonderful job as always. Your imagery and descriptions are very well done. The casualness of the conversation, despite the gravity of such a situation, is wonderful. It punctuates how the world is surrounding the story in a useful way that the reader can enjoy. Keep up the good work pots!