Images

Abigail Kremer

Sixteen

PROMPT: [Insert Age]

1
    At sixteen years old I am deemed a young women, but I'm not ready for that yet.  At sixteen, I'm expected to behave like a young woman, participate in serious relationships, and learn the arts of home.  I don't want to learn the arts of the home.
    I am still just a child.  At least, that's what it feels like.  I'm not ready to think about the future, child bearing, and marriage.  It's all just too much. At sixteen I'm supposed to know what I'm going to do with my life, but how am I supposed to know this when I'm not even considered an adult yet.
    I'm sixteen, and like most other sixteen-year-olds, I am an emotion tornado of insecurity and a fear of never fitting in or belonging.  I fear dying alone, growing up alone.  I fear deciding the wrong career and dying unhappy like I've watched my parents slowly deteriorate because of this exact fear. 
    I fear my talent being slowly taken away by the oncoming onslaught of adulthood.  I fear the safety of my freedom of mind, I fear the power of conformity.
    I know I want to fit in, but I do not want to accept society's belief systems.
    I am sixteen, and I am afraid of my life.

• April 8, 2016 - 9:04am (Now Viewing)