Red

_blue

I'm an undercover agent.

Write free:
Kahasai
Xavier N.
Anha
Loveletterstosappho
SFOW
Paperbird

Talk to me on Discord!: https://discord.gg/TttAqs6 or blue#8398
Follow me on Prose:
https://theprose.com/_blue

the following piece hints at self-harm and suicide, but it is not explicitly mentioned. depression is real, and it should not be silenced or censored. i want my thoughts to be heard, screwed up as they are.

blue

3

blue is the bruises on your arms and legs
that slowly fade to yellow, then disappear.

blue is the color of the sky, with smatters
of clouds and a gradient of orange, red, and
gold, shining brilliantly as to compliment the
world in a silent support of its beauty.

blue is the color of the ocean, deep and light
and everything all at once, yet nothing at all.

blue is the color of your veins, your brain's 
roots in the dirt of your body, a tree growing
and living and breathing, human as human can be.

blue is the color of solemn love, missing as it
floats endlessly in the air, trying to find a
way back, hopelessly following red strings tied
to pinkie fingers, a maze seeminly changed in
the blink of an eye, lost to those who try and
fail at the game of love and life, doomed to
lose, no matter what cards they have to play.

blue is the color of broken souls, dull with
hints of gray in the slow, lazy color, a glint
of metal shining as chains clink against each
other, trapping their souls further behind their
prison bars and braids of shackles, tangled 
in a deadly trap of a thousand expectations.

blue is the color of forced laughter and fake
smiles, trying their hardest to just be, but
never being good enough for their own impossible
standards.

blue is the color of joy found in a place that is
devoid of optimism, a glass half-empty surrounded
by shattered glasses already destroyed from the
gravity of expectations.

blue is the color of giving up when there is seemingly
nothing else worth fighting for.

blue was the color of her skinny jeans. 

blue was the color of her soft flannel, with big pockets on the outside, where she could hide handfuls of candy along with dozens of her other belongings. her keys, her phone, her hands, and sometimes the hands of others twined with her own.

blue was the color of the bags under her eyes, hidden behind glasses, but not hidden enough to where people couldn't see them, although no one ever asked when she almost nodded off in classes, moved slower than her normal pace, and seemed to be in an entirely different world when she stared off into the distance.

blue was the color that surrounded her, when a grimace replaced a smile when no one was looking. when she hid her arms behind her flannel sleeves, and her legs underneath her skinny jeans. 

blue was the color of her bottled-up frustration, a letter thrown to sea for no one to find until after she was gone.

blue was the color of everyone seeing, but duct-taping their mouths and eyes, bystanders to a cause that could’ve been saved, if only someone had just spoken up and said that they cared.

blue was the color of her everything.

the color blue is now my nothing.
i'm trying. 

• August 13, 2019 - 8:09pm (Now Viewing)

• r|A|i|N

wow. what a powerful piece. your style is elegant and effective; the interesting figurative twists really make this poem worth reading. the way that you characterize a color with blue, in everything from her jeans to the metaphorical sea she drowned in, really grabbed me in particular. it's a very powerful way to tell a story - both lovely and terrible.
    if i'm going to be honest, i fully expect that this piece will get taken down. even though your writing mentions nothing by name, write the world's pretty paranoid about getting lawsuits for young writers who take their lives, and they're not likely to allow this at the moment. i wish these pieces could stay, though - you have such important ideas here, and they should be heard. even if it doesn't stay, i'm so glad you decided to write this.

• weirdo

Blue, I didn’t expect to feel feelings today. You made such a beautiful piece out of such a heart-wrenching situation. I had to read that three times.
    Oh, and your message from writer is so true. If only WtW would listen to people like you who know the truth of the situation

• weirdo

• Ursa Rover

Ugh.

This is so
    Broken.
    Beautiful.
    Dark.
    Painful.

A shattered piece of art.