rainandsonder

currently reading "the goldfinch" and trying to learn spanish. if you like what i write, please leave a comment!

"i wish the world was flat like the old days/then i could travel just by folding a map," - death cab for cutie

lowercase is intentional.

/əˈtərnədē/

14
this is my eternity:

trees hauling the heavy air like a stooped atlas
and poisoned california sky, rocks breaking through bleached
grass like desperate fingers reaching from a frosted 
ocean. wooden obelisks strung with bent wire trace this 
writhing world, and the hills climb from the
desolate grassland like steepled
hands praying, reaching for the unfathomed blue.

we're all reaching out here. telephone
pole crosses and praying hills, a
stooped atlas with begging knees and
bent back, and how we grasp at a
california sky. an intangible blue sprawl imprisoning
a bleached stretch of forever (and they pray
not for worship but for mercy).

it feels like i could hit my head on the
sky but when my fingers cry and lunge they only drag
on the weighted air. i had been too petrified by time to
read before i scrawled my signature, but
it had said, in the fine print:
e-ter-ni-ty (noun)
/əˈtərnədē/
1. a contained forever, a bleached
2. ocean of grass with desperate fingers reaching for
3. a poisoned blue.
i've spent too long editing and revising and touching up this way and honestly i'm still not satisfied, but i'm never going to get it done if i keep going. what did you think? if you have any critiques, please leave them in the comments or write a review, and if you enjoyed, also drop a quick comment! feedback is important.

2

• AbigailSauble

I like how you used the term 'california sky'. Gives me a much better picture of everything since you're speaking of a place I'm familiar with. =)
    Also, the first sentence of the third paragraph was very well constructed!
    Keep on!

• ghostlyglory

this sits different.

• aryelee

this is absolutely breathtaking!! using the same words in each stanza, then the definition really pulled everything together and made this piece even more powerful. the imagery you use is so gorgeous and vivid, i'm definitely going to be rereading this a lot! i really loved the lines: "he hills climb from the / desolate grassland like steepled / hands praying, reaching for the unfathomed blue", "(and they pray / not for worship but for mercy)", and "it feels like i could hit my head on the / sky but when my fingers cry and lunge they only drag / on the weighted air".

wow! this is absolutely incredible. the lowercase style really works for this piece, and you should be so proud of what you've created. i too loved the atlas metaphors, but it was the last stanza that really hit home for me - the use of eternity as if it was a definition, it's more raw and potent form. stunning work, i'm always loving your pieces.

• agustdv

"a stooped atlas with begging knees" is such a powerful visual. I think you say so much in the reserved, restrained words you use, which is such an amazing skill. I'm in love!

• r|A|i|N

there is always so much power in your description.

• weirdo

Once again, your imagery leaves me in awe. You are truly a wordsmith. My favorite part is an intangible “blue sprawl imprisoning/a bleached stretch of forever (and they pray/not for worship but for mercy).”

• K.L. Rose

I read this three times and each time, the image became more vivid and caused an internal gasp (which is a good thing). I think one thing that might not be sitting right is in the last paragraph where 'sky' and 'cry' are in the same sentence, causing a rhyme that isn't found in a lot of the piece. You could maybe space those out a little more and see how it sounds? Overall though, this is very well written. You should be proud.