alrefthekid

Afghanistan

My Spotify "Starred" Playlist: Guaranteed to Blow Your Mind

PROMPT: Playlist Selfie

0

Yesterday I finally caught up with the 21st century.

I downloaded Spotify.

For those who aren't familiar, Spotify is a free music streaming service that brings thousands of songs to your ears for free (as long as you have a Spotify-supported device and decent internet connection).

After the program finished downloading, I spent the rest of the night in pure euphoria. Looking back, those first few hours are a complete blur. Spotify was almost too much to handle for my music-loving self. But fear not, dear reader, for I have conquered the beast.

The discovery of the ability to "star" songs (Spotify's version of a bookmark, if you will) was huge for me. Now with the "star" feature, I could streamline my listening process by sending the best of the best to an elite, exclusive "Starred" playlist. A sampling of songs that reached my prestigious "Starred" pantheon might look like:

"Long Black Road" by Electric Light Orchestra "Blue Sky" by Common "Try a Little Tenderness" by Otis Redding "Killer Queen" by Queen "Valentine" by Fiona Apple

What do these selections say about me? Well, it's funny you should ask, because I myself was just trying to figure out how these specific songs ended up in my Starred Temple of Spotify.

"Long Black Road" by Electric Light Orchestra

This one is easy. I recently watched "American Hustle" and this glorious song is one of the reasons why I can't get the movie out of my brain (the other two reasons are 70s clothing and Jennifer Lawrence).

I like when a piece of art consumes the entirety of my thoughts.

"Blue Sky" by Common

The Electric Light Orchestra listening session persuaded me to revisit Common's "Blue Sky," which samples another Electric Light Orchestra song, "Mr. Blue Sky."

I like great songs that creatively borrow from other great songs...

"Try a Little Tenderness" by Otis Redding

To most folks my age, this song is simply the source material for Jay Z and Kanye West's 2011 hit "Otis", but little do they know that the original song is truly special in its own right. They just don't make music with this much soul anymore.

I like when you can tell that things were crafted with soul.

"Killer Queen" by Queen

This is one of those songs that you are confident that you know all of the words to... until you actually try to sing it and then realize you only know the "dynamite with a laser beam, guaranteed to blow your mind" part. However, none of that really matters because the song is such a jam that you kind of just forget everything else when it comes on.

I like losing hold of reality with music.

"Valentine" by Fiona Apple

Fiona Apple is a Killer Queeeeeeen... dynamite with a laser beam, guaranteed to blow your mind! Jokes aside, Fiona Apple really does blow my mind. I think I could spend 500,000 words just writing about her. She fascinates me.

I guess this means I like talented, complicated, and mysterious women?

Well, I'm probably not the first guy.

1.

1