Ac7d6c04dae32aadf952fb419b03884e

rainandsonder

writing/drawing/music

"if you punish a person for dreaming their dreams / don't expect them to thank or forgive you,” -the mountain goats

“everything's in order in a black hole / nothing seems as pretty as the past though,” - the arctic monkeys

lowercase is intentional.

i'm having a contest! #r&scontest

22
i feel like the user-hosted contests thing has died out by now, but i missed the trend, so here i am. i'm going to leave a fairly long comment on every piece that's going to be entered, and there will be three winners and a couple of honorable mentions if i see fit. also, i'm going to republish this a lot so lots of people can see it, so if you keep seeing it on the dashboard and it's annoying you... sorry.

prompt
you must write a piece based off one of these three prompts: "flame," "clock," or "breath." you incorporate all three if you'd like, or incorporate two of them, but it's not required. also, you don't necessarily have to include the word in your entry, but it does have to be hinted at or centered around the prompt that you choose.

criteria
i will be looking for pieces that use the prompts the most creatively (that being said, don't try to create a piece that's qUiRkY and sUbVeRtS eXpEcTaTiOnS just because you can; pieces that are archetypal or "predictable" can be just as good if well-written), pieces that are meaningful or leave a lasting impact, and pieces that deliver their message effectively. also, memorable characters, few grammatical/spelling errors, realistic dialogue, vivid description, and beautiful writing. 

rules
- no word limit, so feel free to go as long or as short as you want (but please don't make it painfully long just because you can)
- you can put the link to your entry in the comments if you want, but everyone must put "#r&scontest" in the title of their piece so i can search and see all entries
- no religious pieces or pieces that center around religious spirituality, please. i'm not religious, and as such i feel like i won't be able to effectively understand and judge these pieces. i have no qualms against religion, i just have little background in the subject.
- while i don't really mind gore or "mature themes" all that much, please keep in mind that if you do write a piece that goes there and violates wtw guidelines, it may get taken down 
- yes, both poetry and prose (non-poetry) are allowed

due date
entries are due by august 15th (unless there's further notice).

prizes
1ST PLACE: three very detailed reviews of pieces of your choice, a follow (if i'm not already following you), and likes and detailed comments on three pieces of my choice.
2ND PLACE: two very detailed reviews on pieces of your choice, a follow, and likes and detailed comments on two pieces of my choice.
3RD PLACE: one very detailed review on a piece of your choice and likes and detailed comments on two pieces of my choice.

if you have any questions or if i left anything out, comment down below! please like if you plan to participate, and comment when your entry is published.

• July 17, 2019 - 2:39pm (Now Viewing)

• Boogie With Stu

This is a cool prompt, and I might enter, I just hope I have time, I have a contest going on too, and today is the last day for submission, so I might be busy :)

about 21 hours ago
  • CrowSF

Cool contest idea! Here's my submission: https://writetheworld.com/groups/1/shared/120613/version/230718

@weirdo not bothering at all! i just didn’t get around to responding to the first comment. it’s totally fine!

• weirdo

I think I’m gonna try to publish it here anyway. It uses a metaphor instead of directly stating it so maybe they won’t notice? It can so be interpreted in different ways so maybe they’ll think it means something else. Still, I’m gonna warn you that it might be taken down. So, I’ll think of another idea just in case and if my first piece gets taken down I’ll just write another with a different concept. Sorry for bothering so much. I’ll shut up now

• weirdo

Im still gonna do an entry though. I just need to think of something else

• weirdo

So, i wrote a piece for this then realized after it was fully developed that I couldn’t publish it here because of the rules. I published it on another site and made sure to give you credit. So, I know it doesn’t count but here it is if you want to see it
    https://theprose.com/post/285285/tick-tock

• Serendipity

Ooo I'm very excited to do this! ^-^

• rosemarywisdom

I might get something in... don't have a lot of time :(

@ajamwal yes, that's fine, but change the title to include #r&scontest so i can find it.

• ajamwal

I made a poem called, "A Breath" for the prompt "Smoke. Smog. Soot." is it okay if I use that?

• Blotted Ink with a Broken Quill

Excited to do this!

• V-Rose

This sounds awesome. Here's the link: https://writetheworld.com/groups/1/shared/120575/version/230078
    Also, I like the prompts because they're simple and you have a chance to find a unique way with them.

• Juliana

I’m leaving for 2 weeks, but maybe when I get back, I’ll attempt this.

• The Bubbling Pen

thanks so much for hosting this contest - love the awesome contest prompts :) here's my entry xx

• Araw

Definitely going to attempt this!

• weirdo

Sounds great. And, it should be easy to remember that deadline since it’s my birthday. I always promise myself that I’ll enter a contest then forget a week later