milk

Hong Kong

The Flower We Love Unfurls Under The Starlight

Intro
Sing Hallelujah to the Lord
Take my land to Your peaceful realm

Verse 1
Scattering white
Resounding in the silent night
Dreams of millions
In the darkness they ignite

We will take valour to fight
Let our sound resonates as lucent light

Verse 2
A yellow coat
On the rim he stands on top
He ought to go
But the rain it never stops

Time turns daylight to nightfall
This land is not I used to know anymore

Pre-Chorus 1
Petals from the orchid tree
Fall a long, long way down
Down at 88 Queensway Road
Dust to dust, let gravity awaken souls

Chorus 1
Shades of violet alight
Vanish in the void like melting snow
Bloom is the flower gleaming white
Blossom as bright as an aura glows

Verse 3
Sea of black
Tear gas shells bounce through the smoke
Gunshots fired
To the ground our blood has soaked

We dream the same wish upon a star
A wish for my city’s peace and liberation

Pre-Chorus 2
The umbrellas linger in the mist
Hear the words of our mothers’ cry
Bygone are the days of freedom
But once again, the flicker of hope revives

Chorus 2
History will know our names
This place is forever ours to defend
Bloom is the flower gleaming white
Bless the town I loved so well, my homeland

Bridge
Early summer gloom devours the land I love
Screams and no one seems to hear a thing
But we will stand firm in the faith; be men of courage
From every mountainside, let freedom ring

Chorus 3
The light obscures and distracts
People sing triumph in this raging war
Bloom is the flower gleaming white
Flutter in the wind, white and bright

Outro
It lands on a sea of white petals
Beneath the black flag in the middle of night
Fly the flag with the emblem we contend
As the flower we love unfurls under the starlight

Free at last! Free at last!
Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!
The lyrics of The Flower We Love Unfurls Under The Starlight circulate the recent massive protests in Hong Kong. 

Hong Kong, a former British colony, was returned to China in 1997 under “one country, two systems,” which promised the territory a high degree of autonomy and help preserve Hong Kong’s civil service, independent courts, freewheeling press, open internet and other features that distinguish it from mainland.

The current proposal of Hong Kong's extradition laws would allow island fugitives to be transferred to Taiwan, Macau, and mainland China. It sparked mass outrage, as many Hongkongers saw it as a new way for the People's Republic of China to erode the legal sovereignty of Hong Kong.

Millions defending the city’s rule of law is a stirring and sentimental sight to witness. Pastors stood in the front line against the police to protect the students; Mothers gathered in show of solidarity with Hong Kong’s young protesters, pleading their lives must be treasured. The massive movement has stirred up the sense of belonging of the locals and in the pursuit of freedom, human rights and rule of law – 

We will always defend our beloved homeland.

Remarks

Sing Hallelujah to the Lord:
A hymn sung by Christian groups participating in the ongoing anti-extradition protests in Hong Kong that has become the quasi anthem of the movement.

Scattering white:
On 9th June, people participating the protest against the extradition law complied with the dress code by wearing white.

Dreams of millions:
Millions of people (1.03 million on 9th June and 2 million on 16th June) attended the protest march against the controversial extradition law.

A yellow coat:
A man in a yellow raincoat left a banner and stood on the rim on top of Pacific Place, 88 Queensway.

Orchid tree:
Bauhinia × blakeana, commonly called the Hong Kong Orchid Tree, was adopted as the floral emblem of Hong Kong by the Urban Council in 1965. It had large thick leaves and striking purplish red flowers (Shades of violet).

White flower:
The white flower is a symbol of peace and innocence and is associated with death, symbolising rebirth and eternal life for the deceased.

Sea of black:
On 12th June and 16th June, people participating the protest against the extradition law complied with the dress code by wearing black.

Tear gas and gunshot:
On 12th June, Police used tear gas, pepper spray and batons to disperse crowds of black-clad demonstrators — most of them young people and students.

Umbrella:
It is a passive resistance to the Hong Kong Police's use of pepper spray to disperse the crowd. It symbolises shelter, and protection.

Mother’s cry:
A mother was seen begging the police not to attack the students during the clash.

Black flag:
Protesters hoisted the black bauhinia flag, with the red colour symbolising blood stains, flown at half-staff in an act of mourning.

• Jun Lei

Wow.
    First, congratulations on earning second place!
    Second, I love the symbolism and deep thought you put into your lyrics. Wonderful job.