Screen shot 2015 04 29 at 8.33.40 pm

Christine Betts

YO

Mourning

PROMPT: 0-9

0
0 is the serenity of an early morning, when one's mind has yet to wander past the foggy dreams of the night before...

1 is the curiosity of the newness of it all; the fresh breeze blowing above the bed frame, decidedly different than the inauthentic feeling of the air conditioner being blasted...

2 are the sounds of different chirps, reminiscent of summer mornings at grandmother's house where the walls weren't yet thick enough to keep out the natural world...

3 are the footsteps on the pavement outside as children trot to the bus stop...

4 are the beeps of the alarm, slicing through the moment of peace like a knife across a timeworn watercolor landscape...

5 are the drips of coffee, falling like a painkiller through an IV line...

6 are the seconds spent contemplating doing something outlandish; one second more than yesterday...

7 are the reasons for rifling through the dirty laundry for a pair of slacks to match the beige blouse that's freshly dry-cleaned...

8 are the carrots sitting in the tupperware container, leftover from the day before...

9 are the hours spent under the sterility of fluorescent lights, curtains drawn to keep the mind from wandering. One never knows where it could take you if you let it.