ayakashi

Myanmar

awsium [ 아쉬움 ]

14
‘tell me how regret feels like,’ 
                                             ‘—it’s a bitter green, so bitter you mistake it for sweet                        it tastes like the unripened mangoes you ate in july 
it smells like your sun-dried clothes after a swim in the ocean
                                               lingers like the dead bird that crashed on your front door
it feels like that time you couldn’t speak, when the stares bore into your back
it is the sound of your parents’ fading footsteps
                          a little kid lost in an amusement park
feels like the end of a race you lost
                          torn papers fluttering from your desk, blown away by the door you left ajar

a monster, regret is.

and this may sound cliche[for there are many monsters]
                          but regret is the worst of them all, because they stack up like the assignments by your bedside
                          the thing is, you can burn those papers
                          you can’t burn regret.

Regret
          is the ‘I’m Sorry’s that pile up in your throat
Regret
          is when you have the universe in your eyes
          but failed to let the world see it. 

h.s.

I apologize if the title is not what it means; I thought it looked really cool. I wrote this when I was in  7th grade, and revised it a bit. 

• jun lei

i returned to reread for...the fifth time? sixth? i can't remember. that's how much i love this. there's something unique, almost...refreshing? about the way you write poetry.
    "a monster, regret is." i adored this because it was so simple, yet so different in the way that you phrased it. and there are so many lovely lines, but my favorite was:
    "[regrets] stack up like the assignments by your bedside / the thing is, you can burn those papers / you can’t burn regret." it was such a stunning simile (like so many of the ones you've used), and yet i loved how the "you can't burn regret" applied both literally and figuratively. a gorgeous read.

this is incredible.
    also you wrote this in the seventh grade? *gasps*

• ElsaRee

SUPERB!

• mia_:)

This is really good! I love the formatting!

spreading the love for your work on my march highlights. check em out!
    https://bit.ly/34qYVbw

• Wicked!

Adsjdndb this is amazing

• efflorescence

ooh i absolutely adore the imagery, and the formatting only complements its gorgeousness

holy shit where have you been all my life. this is brilliant