JadeAndSerpentine

I am an aspiring writer who loves reading (and creating) tales of fantasy and adventure, writing poetry, and exploring new genres. I hope that some day I will become a decent writer, but one step at a time!

Considering coming back to WtW.

Wow, it's been a long time...

First of all, I could use a better title for this piece. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

As always, please leave any other critique, comments, and questions that you may have. It really makes my day :)

I've had writer's block for a while, so this is the only piece I've written recently. Also, I generally feel like my writing is too bad to share. I think I'll be publishing some of the stuff I wrote as far back as fall of 2017. I guess I just realized that it's not doing me any good by stewing around in my portfolio.

Thank you so much for reading and have a great day!

What to Run From

10
There are many things to run from:

At recess, from the kid who's "it",
The closet that scared you a bit,
The monster living 'neath your bed,
The ghosts you made up in your head.

Perhaps you ran away from home,
Hoping you could be alone.
Perhaps you ran from mom and dad
Knowing you'd done something bad.

Run from pain and run from stress,
Run from deadlines, run from tests,
Relationships that don't work out,
Your anxieties and doubts.

From hurdles you're afraid to face,
From debts that you have yet to pay,
Apologies you've left unsaid
That people never quite forget.

Run from cruel society,
Oppression and hegemony.

Life's not easy, we all know.
But if you run, where will you go?

1

• Juliana

(Response to your newest comment)
    Yeah, I struggle with the same thing. If you ever need book recommendations, I’ve got some :) though they’re not fantasy. Ooh, you know what you should do? Read short stories. That way you can finish the whole thing in a day or two. Here are some authors: Hemingway, Dostoevsky, James Baldwin (“Sonny’s Blues”), and Richard Wright (these are moderns...well idk about Dostoevsky, but he’s still amazing :).

• Juliana

Thanks for your comment on my piece! You talked about struggling with having inspiration and I thought I’d just mention something that helps me. I have found that when I’m reading I have a lot more inspiration than when I’m not reading anything. There’s a poet named Billy Collins who said something along the lines of no one creates their own writing style; your writing style is just a mix of others because you’re influenced by other writers. I highly recommend just reading at least for 10 minutes a day and I bet your creative side will wake up. I hope the best for you and your writing, and thanks for sharing your thoughts!

• rosemarywisdom

This is such a beautiful poem and so glad to see you back! Your new profile picture is super cool as well.

You expressed interest in my novel Unspoken way back when :) and I'm happy to report that it is very near finished! I post it on here relatively regularly and you can see for yourself if you'd like.

Missed ya and glad to see you back on WtW,
    Rose <3 :)

• Gabriel Goodwin

Also, this piece gives me a feeling that is very genuine and of course painful! Strong piece!!! Keep writing~

• Gabriel Goodwin

Hi, JadeAndSerpentine! In response to your comment on my latest piece (hahaha), I'm going to answer all your questions, because yessss thank you for supporting my piece!

1. Yes, he died around his 40s-50s.
    2. I did mention, "He did this chronologically, year after year,"so in a way he did relive everything, but could also be only just highlights of that year, I didn't think that far :D
    3. Yes, he went to heaven.

*Yup, novel. But, I started with an idea only and made it into a snippet for a poem for that piece...if ever, I'm just aiming for a short story.

*And you're right the elevator is just a means to move the story...his life (if ever) will be the main feature :DDDDD

Thank you so much for commenting~

• JadeAndSerpentine

Thank you for the comment and suggestions!

• HeyThereRose

i love this! Its got a great rhythm and i love how it kind of shows the journey of someone growing up and how fears are kind of constant. For the title you could maybe use the last line like, 'Where to run to', or 'If you run'. Or maybe something like 'Outrunning life'. Idk, just some suggestions (:
    again, i really really love this!