rainandsonder

pfp from the album “castaways and cutouts” by the decemberists.

"i wish the world was flat like the old days/then i could travel just by folding a map," - death cab for cutie

lowercase is intentional.

important psa!

6
    so this is just a quick psa, because i feel like more and more i notice people doing the thing where you like someone's work without commenting on it. like, there are pieces with seven likes and zero comments. it doesn't happen a ton to me, but it happens occasionally and i see it happening to other people, so here i am.
    writing is hard, right? and putting your writing out there is even more difficult; it takes guts. and it kinda sucks when you pour your soul into a piece and publish it with notes in the footnotes that say "please comment!" and your message to readers is "i really need feedback on this, please tell me what i can do to improve such and such part, and if you enjoyed it please leave a comment!" and you check yes on the "do you want to get reviews on this piece?" thing and you get, like, nine likes and maybe one or two comments.
    but i understand why this happens, because commenting is also hard! so here's a list of things you can comment on people's writing. commenting takes about ten seconds, thirty seconds, maaaybe a minute out of your day and it'll make the writer's day so please do it! people don't continue writing for the likes, they continue writing for the feedback, the comments and the reviews, and receiving no comments can be discouraging. anyway, here's the list. feel totally free to use these, or screenshot them, or save them, or whatever. in fact, i encourage it.
    1) quote the part or line you liked, and put a heart or exclamation marks or a comment about how you loved that part.
    2) keysmashes! you could do, like, "asdfgdsjkfjchihfg I LOVE IT" or something like that.
    3) hyperbole. examples: "i would kill a man for this poem," "i'm going to sleep with this under my pillow from now on," "this makes me want to stand with a megaphone on my rooftop and read it aloud so the whole word can hear it," "i want to get *insert line(s)* tattooed on my arm," things like that. use those or come up with your own and make them as convoluted, bizarre, or exaggerated as possible. but also maybe add a little note that says "but not in a creepy way" or something like that.
    4) "i wish i could like this more than once" or "i've read this *insert # of times* because it was so good"
    5) genuine reactions. like, if you smiled, laughed, or even cried while reading it, say so! if it gave you an existential crisis or made you incredibly sad, say so! also, if it's a sad or tragic piece, you can comment something like "WHY" or "why do you hurt me in this way" or "i feel like someone just ripped out my heart" or something like that.
    6) emoticons! just google "emoticon copy and paste" or "Japanese emoticons" and find one that fits.
    7) long comments with fancy writing terms. talk about their structure, their characters, how they build the piece, how their description fits, etc. also, analyze it! put your interpretation of the piece or cool things you notice in the comments too.
    8) just keep it simple and go for "i love this!!" or "this is how i aspire to be able to write" or "ughh this is frustratingly good" or even just "idk what to comment but i really enjoyed this and i think it's really good!
    9) critiques! if you notice typos, or awkward phrasings, or something that could be improved, say so! pair this with compliments as well tho.
    and that's all i have for now. end of psa! also, you don't have to comment on every single piece you like (although that's what i try to do) but aim for commenting on most of them.

• July 1, 2019 - 2:49pm (Now Viewing)

good psa, useful for both comments and reviewing (not gonna lie, do so many of these in my reviews, it's probably not even critical anymore)

• pencils.and.paper.roses

So many yeses!! Comments are the best part of my WtW-ing life ;)

• asteria

woah. this is entirely helpful!!!! i do reviews sometimes, & comment pretty often, but not enough, & i feel like i always say the same thing. thank you for this! looking at the kinds of comments you get on your own pieces might be a tip too. those kinds of comments that make you feel absolutely adored & exceedingly happy? do that. if it makes you happy, it's sure to make someone else's day, too :)

• ThePaperSamurai

Oh my gosh, YES! I completely agree!!! Thank you for posting this. :)

• r|A|i|N

this is something i try to work on, although i’d still say i only comment on a half to a third of the pieces that i read. i prefer to save analytical thoughts and intelligent feedback for peer reviews, but i do drop a quick comment here and there. i agree with you that comments are important, but i don’t think they’re essential. if you can keep up a constant chain of feedback through some other method, then you should do what works best for you.

• weirdo

I try to comment on pieces when I see that they don't have a lot of comments, there's a typo or something, or a have something I need to tell the person that I just can't contain. But, there are times when I don't and I feel as though liking something shows exactly how I feel. Sometimes I just like the piece and I like it to express that I like it. So, I hope you don't take offense if I don't comment.