Oscar_Locke

these are my letters
to myself.

is this a horror poem? a love poem? an ode, or an elegy? tell me what you think, please :)

song of grass

2

i sing the song of grass
i sing the song of me
when bluebirds break their wings
and scream
they sing of me
of grasses ghost-green
and the beat of blood, the bite of teeth
eating, eating of me
when salmon stream 
and grieve
youth ruptured, casting their seed
they weep for me
moans of pureness and-
flashes of scales, red and green
these songs of grass, 
these songs of spring;
births and bleeds, the price enough
paid in song, in need; 
weeping, my teeth find, and sink
i feast, leave nothing
but grass
soft under lips;
waiting for soil, waking for spring,
these songs of grass
singing, they sing
for me.

• asteria

oh, i love reading your poetry! your abstract style just... it makes sense to me. i could drown in it! "songs are the stories we use to give meaning to our suffering." that's going to stick with me. and thanks for responding to my comment :)

• Oscar_Locke

@asteria you hit it on the head. It's a story of love and hate, life and death, hunger and fullness. The animals represent human struggles, and the songs are the stories we use to give meaning to our suffering. Thank you so much for reading!

• asteria

i say this is love disguised as horror. "ghost-green," beat of blood," "grieve," "weep for me," etc... these all instill a sense of horror, even disgust at some points. but if you look a little harder, if you feel a little deeper, you can see it's almost a love song for life, even death, is how i interpret. bluebirds learning to fly & then dying, salmon breeding and hatching, "births and bleeds," feasting on flesh and leaving "nothing but grass." "me" is the process of life, i suppose. at least, that's how i interpret. i'd love to hear what you intended :)