RNE

15-chicago-bangalore-MCU-mortal_instruments-infernal_devices-lunar_chronicles-wonder-dark_artifices-AJR-Imagine_Dragons-BENEDICT_CUMBERBATCH-brooklyn_9_9-NF

“Who was the guy who first looked at a cow and said 'I think I’ll drink whatever comes out of these when I squeeze ’em?”
― Bill Watterson
"Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that who cares?... He’s a mile away and you’ve got his shoes!"
— Billy Connolly
“The only mystery in life is why the kamikaze pilots wore helmets.”
– Al McGuire
shout-out to
Johanna
Quille
The Bubbling Pen
AJ - Izzy
for their amazing pieces in my competition!

Silver Poppies

The girl with the mysterious smile and grey eyes walked out of the forest with a pack of wolves at her heels. Her silver-blonde hair waving in the wind like a banner. She was so used to being a shadow in the dark that she didn't realize that she was outshining the galaxy. She walked with her head up, the stars reflecting in her eyes. Her freckles forming constellations around her nose. Artemis was her name, named after the goddess of the moon and like Artemis, she had a brother who always claimed the spotlight. But she was used to it. Used to being the second favorite, used to being the mature one, used to being unnoticed. 

As she reached a small friendly looking house the wolves howled lowly and raced back to the forest. Apollo, her brother stood by the porch smiling at her. His golden hair seemed to be turning different colors of the rainbow in the dim moonlight. He was all muscles and seemed to be delicately carved from marble. A phoenix sat on his shoulder. It opened its majestic wings and flew up into the darkness. The night was near and it was time for the spirit animals to guard the kingdom. He bent down and picked up his gun, an Uzi. Its barrel glinting in the moonlight. She unhooked her sword from her back. They nodded to each other and walked into the small house. 

Muffled music droned through the house. Loud laughter seemed to be coming from somewhere at the top. She pointed at the stairs and walked up brandishing her sword. As her head emerged from the stairwell, the laughter stopped. The sound of footsteps approaching made them both duck. Before the person could react, she jumped up and sliced an arc in the air beheading a man tattooed with scars. Before the man's head thumped to the ground Apollo sprang shooting a volley of bullets, which all reached their targets resulting at ten men falling down in sync. They ran to the attic's latch and she knocked softly, first thrice then twice. The secret code of the forsaken. After a moment there was a knock from the attic first thrice then twice. 

Apollo nodded as she opened the latch lifting his gun. A little girl looked back, then quickly ducked. Artemis hoisted herself up and scanned the surrounding, it was seven to two. She smiled the same smile she smiled the day her mother was freed from the life of a slave, a smile of victory. She charged at three of the captors while Apollo ran at the others. Before the captors could react, they were dead, nothing but soon to be rotten heaps of flesh.

The captives filed out of the attic while Artemis and her brother checked the building. After half an hour of scouting the building and the surrounding marsh, they nodded to each other an understanding passing between them. He whistled and a glorious black mare galloped from nowhere in particular. He jumped on top while it was still bounding and heaved her behind him. 

When they reached the gates that lead to their district they got off the stallion and walked home. Artemis stopped as a group of admirers rushed to Apollo none of them sparing her a glance but she couldn't care less. She turned to her spirit animals, unlike all the other forsaken she had more than one spirit animal, she had a pack. But that just made her more different that and the fact she was mute.

The moment they reached home they fell asleep. That night was going to be the big night, the night when the war will be finally over. They woke up the moment the crickets started chirping. They put on their battle armors, both covered in blood from so many battles that it seemed impossible that this would be the last day they would ever need it.

The whole kingdom had assembled for this battle. Animals from rabbits to lions looked like they were ready to kill. The dark ones were rounding up too. Their misshapen bodies forming sinister silhouettes. When the shutter opened for the last battle, there were war cries from both sides as they charged. Apollo was like an angel, he seemed to be soaring through the battlefield with his phoenix right above him. His Uzi always hitting its target. Artemis was a silver devil in the chaos. She cut her rivals to shreds, her sword carving open their malformed skulls. Her wolves tearing apart anyone who came in their path. The battle was a massacre the field littered with broken souls but the dark ones kept pouring out.

Artemis realized that they would never win this way. She ran back to the kingdom trying to find her back up. There under the bridge was her bag, filled to the brim with explosives. She picked it up and ran the border. She fought her way to the dark one's crater. Her wolves following but when she reached the entrance she nodded goodbye. They howled mournfully as she ran into the darkness.

Apollo was so engrossed in the battle that when he saw Artemis run into the caves of the dark ones he was too far to stop her. As he pointlessly ran towards her, the caves simultaneously exploded. He sank to his knees shouting his voice rough and streaked with emotions. His phoenix cawing in rage. 

The next day while he was scouring the ground for his sister's charred body, a wolf came up to him with a sword in his mouth. He dropped in front of his feet, a note was wrapped around the hilt, 'bury this in a field of poppies as red as the blood that flowed through my body.'

Till this day in the Kingdom of the Forsaken, there is a patch in a field of blood red flowers that turned silver from the remains of the silver warrior.

1

• RNE

Thanks<3

• emmiewrites

your imagination is boundless, i love this piece. :)

• Aarushikrishnan

What's your favorite angle? Comment below!

• Aarushikrishnan

My favorite angle is the obtuse angle