Karen Umeora

When I write, I get sucked into another blissful world.
I've loved to write my whole life, and I'm glad that I've found a community with a bunch of people like me.

Feel free to come to me if you ever need advice on your writing!

The Prison without Boundaries

PROMPT: On Courage

6
I’m trapped.
But there are no bars, no walls

I’m in a prison of my own doing
But there is no way out, no way in

As time passes, I feel like a tree
Dazzled by the beautiful green leaves of a mistletoe

Days go by and I realize the mistletoe was nothing
Nothing but a trick to keep me in this wretched prison

The mistletoe was coated with promises
Promises of being attractive
Promises of being “cool”
Promises of fitting in

But I don’t want to fit in anymore
I want to…
I want to…
I want to be myself!

And just like that, the walls shatter
I’m free

Despite the stares
Despite the whispers
Despite the mocking voices that plague my head
I am happy
I am free

• heykiing

I saw your response about the mistletoe! That’s so cool and thanks so much for sharing, your explanation was so helpful ! Now that I know the context it makes a lot more sense ! it adds a really interesting layer to the premise :)

• Karen Umeora

@heykiing A mistletoe is actually a parasite. Not a lot of people know about that however. And a parasite is, according to google, an organism that lives in or on an organism of another species (its host) and benefits by deriving nutrients at the other's expense. So, even though a mistletoe seems beautiful and all, it's actually sucking the life out of the host.

• heykiing

I really liked the direction this poem took, and it connects to something I think a lot of us experience. I'm curious about why you chose mistletoe? Does it have a specific symbolism to you?

• Interestingme

I really wanted to let you know how amazing this piece is. This poem has such an inspiring message which is as beautiful as this piece is well-written. I hope that this poem is true to your current situation, anyone deserves to be free and more importantly to feel free. I'm glad that you managed to shred the mistletoe that was suffocating you.