rainandsonder

"the audience is only safe when the story isn't about them."

they/them - probably listening to sufjan stevens

please comment/review; likes mean very little! i still don't know how to feel about this poem tbh.

the arsonist's hymn, the matchstick's command

4
ashy dust settles in the grooves of quick fingers;
the sun crouches behind seared trees, it lingers
like a frightened child, and the smoke above

floats like charred feathers of a hapless dove.
my world tilts as it burns, scorches the grass
and the ruins sing that naught is built to last;

so i cross soot-soaked fingers, cross my seething heart
and plead the jury for the chance to restart.
but the matchstick again leaks into bloodied hands,

and with a new fervor it again takes command,
for my heart lusts not for glory, nor girl, nor game,
but for blaze, for ember: for a world set aflame.
i haven't been on wtw in a while, and i wrote this the other day while on a plane, so i decided to share it on here. i'm not totally sure about the title, though; i spent a while debating other options, and eventually just typed that down, so it may be subject to change. if you enjoyed, PLEASE comment or review; likes tell me nothing!

• sunset_silhouette

This is truly amazing! Your vocabulary and imagery is unbeatable!

• Roastbeef777

This was so cool to read; The imagery was great, loved it!

great to see your writing again, i've only just recently returned and your work never fails to impress. your title is exquisite, it grabbed me immediately, a testament the eloquent vocabulary and intriguing phrasing that i've come to associate with your writing. the comparison of the sun to a scared child is an analogy i haven't heard of yet, but it makes such an impact to the poem, i'll definitely try to incorporate that into my own writing sometime. the run on sentences, separated into their own stanzas makes for an interesting flow, a lengthy, drawn out observation, almost an apology to the events that have occurred. your words make me almost empathise with the persona, an accountable feat, considering that my antipathy usually distances me from personal pieces. the subtle rhyme scheme is an aspect i only realised upon reading the last two lines - incredible. i have no critiques for this piece, and all i can say is that i'm glad you've continued your writing endeavours. amazing work!!