Image

erinsheckard38

Sand Castles of Who We Were

PROMPT: All Talk

0
"And what, exactly, do you mean by that?"

"Exactly what I said. If you can't grasp it just from that, I don't know what I'm still doing here."

"Well explain it, then, because I sure as hell am not getting it."

"What I meant was that this isn't going to work, not the way it is. Not you and me the way were are. We're broken people who can't help but take the already shattered pieces and cast them against the wall so they shatter further. And then we can't help but pick up those tiny fragments and let them cut our fingers to shreds. We can't help but make each other bleed, then be fools enough to justify it by saying we're bleeding for each other."

"You act like we didn't know we were broken when we started. You act like we didn't know it was going to be an uphill battle. We both outlined this to each other as many times as we could, and we did it anyway because we didn't care that we were broken. We didn't care that there were fragments of past lives scattered at our feet. We didn't care, because no matter where we stepped, those shards never cut our feet. They only cut us when we were fools enough to pick them up."

"But don't you see? It doesn't matter where they cut, because they still did! You can't step around a past forever. You know that as well as I. No one can dance around their past."

"We have. We did. And we will again. I won't let you walk away. I won't let you walk on glass alone. I'll crush those lives to tiny, glittering sand that can't do anymore damage. I will watch as those lives wink up at us when the sun hits them just right, and I won't blink away the brightness. I accept who I was, and I accept who you were, so let's accept each other together and play in the sand of who we were."

"I should've known you wouldn't let me walk away with just that. I should've known."

"Yes, you should have. So, what do you say? Shall we reduce who we were to sand and build castles out of them? Castles that will be the envy of the entire beach, that not even the ocean can bear to see knocked down?"