Screen shot 2015 10 25 at 6.39.07 pm

Instance

Shadow

PROMPT: Everyday Magic

0
    Cocooned in blankets, I froze as the shadows creep forth. Slowly, I suspect for the sake of torturing me, the ghoulish figures peeled themselves off the walls and drew in closer. I could clearly see every detail of their long, pointed fingers, and desperate to escape, I flung myself away from one of them - only to find myself in the clutches of many more. Shrieking, I rolled around, and was quickly cornered by this crew of monstrosities. As slowly as they had arrived, they tore me apart, limb by limb, devouring them as if there was no tomorrow. I wept shamelessly as they did so, and unable to stand the scene of my own blood flying across the room, I squeezed my eyes shut. Suddenly, I inhaled saliva, and began choking. I heard an odd laugh, and then everything faded away.

I was panting as I opened my eyes. After I calmed down, I took a quick look over my extremities, ensuring that they were still safely attached to my body. My body intact, I stretched, yawned, and chuckled to myself about my silly dream - those were no horrendous minions of evil or anything akin to that; I had been ripped into pieces by my own imagination. I walked out of the room and shut the door behind me. As the door clicked, a low, derisive chuckle flowed into my ears. I froze. It was the one at the very end of my nightmare. It was simply someone else in the house, someone else's laugh that had floated into my dreams. Right?