LyraLynne

Was born in a small US town and has always loved reading and writing. Was inspired by JK Rowling to start writing. Was diagnosed with cancer in 2012 and went through chemotherapy in 2015. All is good now. Loves fall and winter and their holidays.

I follow everyone, no matter what. If you show up on my dashboard or in my notifications, I'll follow you and check out your profile if I haven't already. :)

Quotes to remember:
“The sky’s only the limit if you don’t believe you can make it to the stars.” -Me

"Everyone is an independent snowflake so get over it." -Me

"Hardships often prepare ordinary people for an extraordinary destiny." -C.S. Lewis

My writing blog is lyralynnewriting.weebly.com if you want to go check that out. :)

Ashes, Dust, and Blood

The first unusual thing Lana noticed was the dream itself. Not only was it an extraordinarily ordinary dream, but something about it just didn’t seem right. Normally, her dreams were too absurd to possibly be as real as this one seemed to be. 
    She was on the sidewalk of her boring suburban town, surrounded by cookie cutter houses, chatting with her usual friends. The sun was out, and scorching in the cloudless sky. In fact, the more she paid attention to it, the hotter it got. A friend was calling her name, but she was entranced in the majesty of the star before her. This was normal. Lana usually zoned out in conversations.
    “Lana, can you hear me? Lana, please, answer me!” Her friend Cheyenne was shouting. That was confusing. Her friend was right next to her. Why should she have been shouting? The heat began to grow more and more by the minute, yet Lana remained calm. Staring at her friend with a blank look on her face, she pondered the meaning of this seemingly normal dream. Normal, anyway, compared to the other, impossible dreams that she’d been having.
    The second unusual thing occurred when her friends disappeared. Poof. Like a Vegas magician, they were gone. Lana knew it was a dream, so instead of panicking, she just went about on her regular route, past the yellow fire hydrant, cutting through the nice neighbor's yard, and reemerging on the empty street, heading toward her own home. She remarked again at how uninteresting the day was, minus the supposedly unbearable heat. The world gained a red/orange tint, and brightened in her eyes. Lana had to shield her face, and something in her brain told her she should be feeling pain, but there was no signal, no unbearable burning. There was just the sense that the heat was there, yet it didn't bother her, so still, she marched on.
    The last unusual thing was a stranger appearing in front of her, the only thing visible in the now whirlwind of flame. He was rather tall, lightly muscular, and too attractive for Lana's liking. In her past romantic experiences, attractive people usually turned out to be douche bags. This one proved no different. He did nothing but stare uncomfortably at her, waiting. Confused, Lana stared back, her stubbornness stepping in to command her silence. 
    He spoke first, in a deep, almost familiar maple-syrup whisper. “Any minute now the transformation will be set in place. It’s odd that you’ve been sleeping this whole time. Usually, the children awaken right away. The dust must be deeper inside of you than originally thought.” Before Lana could respond in confusion, a stinging pain erupted in her temple. She cried out and fell to her knees, the hurricane of fire whipping around in a tighter circle now, blowing at speeds that should have been deadly.
    “NO!” She screamed, crouching lower on the ground and laying her forehead on the strangely cool dirt. The boy before her ducked as well, and moved closer. The agony of the migraine caused her to panic, her anxiety manifesting in the storm’s ever-increasing fury. She heard the boy yelling, but as before, she would not respond. She was too wrapped up in her suffering. Images flashed across her eyes, scenes from a life that wasn’t her own. People, places, events that were supposed to be impossible. Trying to cry out was futile, as no sound escaped the tumultuous whiplash of her mind.
    When it finally ended, Lana was shaking too much to notice. The pain disappeared with the flames, but the memory was stuck on replay in her mind. It wasn’t until she felt a hand on her shoulder that she snapped out of it. Staring once again at the strange boy, this time she noticed a different emotion apparent in his eyes: a sense of fear. He said nothing, just helped her to stand. Before she could ask him anything, though, he was gone. Just like her friends.
    Lana was left alone on a newly unfamiliar street. Her anxiety started pooling in the cracks of her wounded sanity, but she forced herself to push it away. Calling out in hesitation, her words just echoed back with no response. The panic had just started to win the war when suddenly, she awoke.
    Opening her eyes was difficult, as they were crusted shut with strange white dust. She rubbed her face, which seemed to be coated with it as well. When she could finally make sense of her surroundings, it took every last ounce of her willpower not to scream. She was in her own bedroom, lying on a pile of ruins with a scrap of a blanket and a pillow of coals.
    Scrambling to stand, her lip trembled and her breath shook in the cold winter air. Her bedroom was an abandoned fire pit, with nothing left untouched save herself. A sob escaped her lips as she saw what remained of her bookshelf, her desk, her snow globe collection, everything. She would’ve sunken to her knees had she seen anything moving. Instead, all was shrouded in darkness and unfamiliarity. The night was betrayal masking solidarity. No one moved, no shadows flickered in the darkness, so she was all alone.
    Her heart drummed a racing beat in her ears as she frantically scrambled her way out of the rubble and clear of the hollow shell of what was once her home. She called aloud in terror for someone, her mother, father, her sister Isabelle, dogs, neighbors, anyone. Her words bounced back to her ears as a lonesome echo. No one was there. It wasn’t until she fell to her knees in the ash-covered grass that she allowed herself to cry.
    Time passed in an unmeasurably slow pace as Lana, feeling lost and alone, knelt on the ground sobbing. When she seemed to be all dried out, she encouraged herself to stand, and face the problems before her. She perched there, waiting, frozen in melancholic anguish, until a somewhat familiar shadow appeared in the pale moonlit night. Looking up and recognizing the boy from her dream almost immediately, her panic started to transform into confusion, and inevitably rage. He held up his hands before she could speak, and gestured for her to follow him. Seemingly having no choice, and yearning for human companionship, Lana reluctantly followed him into the darkness that was once a familiar place. Looking back on her home, all she saw was rubble and dust. A last unwelcome tear found its way down her ash covered cheek and she quickly brushed it away.
    The boy moved briskly in the night, into the nearby forest, and Lana could barely keep up, especially with her wobbly legs and asthmatic lungs. When she stopped to take a breath, she thought she lost him for a second. Luckily, he returned for her, though impatiently. When she could breathe normally, he disappeared once more into the night. Inhaling deeply, she started off again on the trail of the mysterious boy.
    Even Lana didn’t quite know what she was doing. Why was she following some random boy instead of finding her family? Why wasn’t she demanding answers? Despite her unrelenting mind, she pushed onward, following her gut, which was telling her that her questions would be answered if she just followed him. So on she went, into the darkness, away from everything she had ever known. And lost.
This is the first chapter of a book I am planning on writing, though not in the near future. This is just the beginning, so there will be more to it hopefully soon, but for now, enjoy the first chapter of Star Child!

• ThePaperSamurai

The story is so interesting, and the way you describe it is perfect! Well done, and please post more!

• Kingsflame

That was so good. Please post more of the book when you write it.